What's new

Medallion - "United Veterans of the Republic" Help to Find an Owner?

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
1,535
Reaction score
949
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Medallion - "United Veterans of the Republic" Help to Find an Owner?

Found this medallion in the city of Napa, California on the Eastern bank of the Napa River very close to city center.

I can make out "VETERANS OF THE ..." and "US" and "AMERICA" and that's all. The top has what appears to be a paddle wheel boat. The round portion is about the size of a 50c piece.

I'll be cleaning it to try to read the rest but hopefully will get an I.D. before that from our super-sharp members.

HH Joe

UPDATE: Well there's a number on the reverse side. 852, but I am stuck on how to try to find an owner and would appreciate any help possible ...... Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • Vet of republic sm.webp
    Vet of republic sm.webp
    74.8 KB · Views: 297
Re: Medallion - "Veterans of the ...."

Is that an airplane on top? Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: Medallion - "Veterans of the ...."

Yep ...it's a biplane.

Good 'ol Google got me this photo and here's the link: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9183

I got "REPUBLIC" on the right side from the first cleaning and entered "VETERANS OF THE REPUBLIC" into Google.

Thanks for your efforts and comments.

HH Joe

PS: Now I gotta go back and look for the "UNITED" piece. Man that wine tasting was so GOOD!
 

Attachments

  • Napa find sm.webp
    Napa find sm.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0
Re: Medallion - "Veterans of the Republic" Help to Find Owner?

Bumping up to try to get some help finding who was the medallion # 852 issued to.

Thanks Joe
 
Upvote 0
Re: Medallion - "Veterans of the Republic" Help to Find Owner?

I found this article from the 7/14/1918 Cleveland Plain Dealer-

2mhiovn.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: Medallion - "Veterans of the Republic" Help to Find Owner?

Dr. Joe:
The number on the medal might never have been associated with one person.

Use of the caduceus in this sense was popularized largely as a result of the adoption of the caduceus as its insignia by the US Army medical corps in 1902. Maybe that's another clue as to the origin of this medal.
Don.......
 
Upvote 0
Re: Medallion - "Veterans of the ...."

I found that forum posting. The medallion depicted is # 853. Yours is 852? That makes me think it is NOT a number of an individual medal but perhaps a run number or a style number.

I could not find much info on the organization.

DCMatt

DrJoePrime said:
Yep ...it's a biplane.

Good 'ol Google got me this photo and here's the link: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9183

I got "REPUBLIC" on the right side from the first cleaning and entered "VETERANS OF THE REPUBLIC" into Google.

Thanks for your efforts and comments.

HH Joe

PS: Now I gotta go back and look for the "UNITED" piece. Man that wine tasting was so GOOD!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom