Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Lehigh Valley Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1903036

Found this fly fishing in the Lehigh river far from civilization. Was told it was a tablet from the mound people by an Indian Museum. If you look at the pattern, its half of a dream catcher. Was told this could be over 1k years old. I'd like to find another person that found one to verify. If you know anything more then I've mentioned please give me a shout. Thanks guys. Different cuts and versions have been found .
Nothing in the northeast to compare unfortunately. Some had several layers of rings that symbolized different aspects of daily life. I will scan it at work with a 3D scanner and post the results for fun. Should be able to draw more detail into the pattern. Hopefully show what tools made it. Stay tuned. Medicine-Wheel-7-dir-green.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I click attachment and pic shows. It looks neat. I know nothing about. Maybe a few more pics plz.

OP
OP
S

Swing_Tailor

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Lehigh Valley Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it was more interested under water . I find alot if indian stuff in river, but nothing close to this. My buddy told me to leave it, looked like something that could curse you lol. I'll post more pics shortly

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least three concentric circles with an X spanning all of them. Intriguing to say the least.
Hope others will share what they know.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I hunted Lehigh Gorge quite a bit but I think that's historic, not Indian related. Obviously a cool artifact and one I would have taken home as well.

OP
OP
S

Swing_Tailor

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Lehigh Valley Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already had a group of actual artifact experts explain the significance. I sent pics to the native american museum in New Mexico that specializes in tablets. You'd be amazed at how precise some of the tablets were carved. I'm more interested in another existing example. But I do appreciate feedback. I'm not into relics enough to need to design a story around this weird item. I would have been more satisfied with a nice silver dollar. Lol. If interested Look up mound people from mississippian/ pennsylvania Erra. The pioneers our white population loves to ignore, as well as history books. Such tablets were carved and this resembles medicine wheel. Which was a popular pattern for several hundred years . Most of the tablets were located near water. Where it was suitable to build and thrive living in rock pikes. I have about 25 items I'll post from same region . From cooking artifacts, to weapons. I generally find about ten a season while fishing. Nothing like this though. Some pics . I'm in the water some times 250 days a season, so the odds of finding things go up slightly. It makes stories become reality. And artifacts show up on most trips. But I'm not one to look for them, but I definitely am drawn to strange finds. I enjoy detecting more then relic. But Fly Angling is my jam. IMG_20201231_111850.jpg GH017272_1608433918703.jpg IMG_20201017_181036_076.jpg IMG_20200920_190824_474.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Swing_Tailor

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Lehigh Valley Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought same or jewish symbol. Would have been a much simpler explination. The precision threw me off till I looked up ancient tablet carvings. Some looked like a cnc machine carved them. Absolutely amazing.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have quite the stone display at home by the looks of it.
I’m just learning and would have fished right past those.

I’d rather hook a nice trout than find a silver dollar! But here I am looking for arrowheads and nuggets rather than fishing.

I didn’t know there were clean streams east of the Rockies.
All the water I’ve seen looks like irrigation tail water.

Funny story...some work associates from Kansas City were out west here working near a large spring. Despite the fact that the spring came out of the ground a mile away and was surrounded by cattle pasture, they wanted to go take a sip of the water it was so clean looking. Our filthiest river was pristine to them. They never had the time to check out the hidden gems we have in my area (Northern California) which was disappointing.

Your area looks relatively tranquil.

Last edited:

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
The carving is too uniform. Looks like a modern piece, my guess is one of those Labyrinth stones the hippy Wiccans use in their 'Rituals'. You know, the ones always leaving stacked stones all over the place near water.

OP
OP
S

Swing_Tailor

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Lehigh Valley Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to scan it with our 3D scanner. Several million points should show that it was carved with primitive tools, rather then a gardening machine from kmart. Lol, science will prevail. I'll post the scan when I get it scheduled.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The concentric circles and crosshair (Bullseye) pattern do not match any medicine wheel examples i’ve looked into, this tells me not a medicine wheel although I would like to be proved wrong...

OP
OP
S

Swing_Tailor

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Lehigh Valley Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, maybe it's the tiki from the brady bunch . Lol. What do you do when you find an example of nothing? Who do you even call to verify it indiana jones? Kind of funny but I have lost hope on this thing. I am going to 3 d image scan it to see if it was machine carved . Good start I guess.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I've already had a group of actual artifact experts explain the significance. I sent pics to the native american museum in New Mexico that specializes in tablets. You'd be amazed at how precise some of the tablets were carved. I'm more interested in another existing example. But I do appreciate feedback. I'm not into relics enough to need to design a story around this weird item. I would have been more satisfied with a nice silver dollar. Lol. If interested Look up mound people from mississippian/ pennsylvania Erra. The pioneers our white population loves to ignore, as well as history books. Such tablets were carved and this resembles medicine wheel. Which was a popular pattern for several hundred years . Most of the tablets were located near water. Where it was suitable to build and thrive living in rock pikes. I have about 25 items I'll post from same region . From cooking artifacts, to weapons. I generally find about ten a season while fishing. Nothing like this though. Some pics . I'm in the water some times 250 days a season, so the odds of finding things go up slightly. It makes stories become reality. And artifacts show up on most trips. But I'm not one to look for them, but I definitely am drawn to strange finds. I enjoy detecting more then relic. But Fly Angling is my jam. View attachment 1903256 View attachment 1903257 View attachment 1903259 View attachment 1903262
Those two would be celts appear to be natural rocks not modified by man I don’t know who’s pulling your leg,

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an interesting item. Probably historic but still interesting. I'm also interested in the artifacts you found. Can you post them please?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread