Medieval Poop Barrels That Still Smell Discovered in Denmark

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

April 3 (UPI) -- Time may be able to heal all wounds, but it apparently can’t alleviate all smells…

Archaeologists excavating in the town of Odense, Denmark, the birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen, unearthed some medieval barrels that were being used in the town’s old toilet area.

"The excavation is characterized by great conditions for preservation and is located on a medieval site that has been found to contain brick houses, half-timbered houses and stables,” archaeologist Maria Elisabeth Lauridsen told Discovery News.

"We are talking about 700-year-old latrines. And yes, they still smell bad.”

The excrement in the barrels is still in "excellent condition" and has been analyzed to provide some clues about what life was like in Denmark 700 years ago.

"Preliminary results of analysis show that raspberries were popular in Odense in the 1300s. The contents also contain small pieces of moss, leather and fabric which were used as toilet paper," Lauridsen said.

It is believed that the barrels were originally constructed to transport goods and store fish before being converted to latrines.

"We are finding new and exciting information about the life that was lived in Odense during the 14th century," Lauridsen said.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man, now you tell me? I could have been a poop scientist?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any chance of converting these barrels into drinking water tanks?! Lol!

sent from a potato...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I feel so much better knowing they ate raspberries! Lol I know it does add to research, but still funny!! I'll write down what I eat to save someone the trouble 700 years from now!!!

I bet they even sniffed the seeds!

sent from a potato...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

April 3 (UPI) -- Time may be able to heal all wounds, but it apparently can’t alleviate all smells…

Archaeologists excavating in the town of Odense, Denmark, the birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen, unearthed some medieval barrels that were being used in the town’s old toilet area.

"The excavation is characterized by great conditions for preservation and is located on a medieval site that has been found to contain brick houses, half-timbered houses and stables,” archaeologist Maria Elisabeth Lauridsen told Discovery News.

"We are talking about 700-year-old latrines. And yes, they still smell bad.”

The excrement in the barrels is still in "excellent condition" and has been analyzed to provide some clues about what life was like in Denmark 700 years ago.

"Preliminary results of analysis show that raspberries were popular in Odense in the 1300s. The contents also contain small pieces of moss, leather and fabric which were used as toilet paper," Lauridsen said.

It is believed that the barrels were originally constructed to transport goods and store fish before being converted to latrines.

"We are finding new and exciting information about the life that was lived in Odense during the 14th century," Lauridsen said.

I can understand grabbing a Squirrel or cat in a pinch to use it as toilet paper,
But Moss ?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I can understand grabbing a Squirrel or cat in a pinch to use it as toilet paper,
But Moss ?

Moss still beats a pine cone! I wonder...did they have any type of soap? What if they have a tear out?

sent from a potato...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just when I thought I might be up for digging a privy if I ever found one,lol.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just when I thought I might be up for digging a privy if I ever found one,lol.

All you have to do is make some bread when you get home. Kneading the dough will get your hands clean!

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya'll need to remember here...

They're finding EXCITING information :)

I can get pretty excited about it..... (NOT)

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Had a friend who was a ********** (can't say it here as it's religious) in Upper Volta in Africa. He told me you never shake an African's left hand because that is the one used for "sanitation".

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Had a friend who was a ********** (can't say it here as it's religious) in Upper Volta in Africa. He told me you never shake an African's left hand because that is the one used for "sanitation".

Heard the same about some Muslim countries. They think we are gross for using paper! Lol!

sent from a potato...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All you have to do is make some bread when you get home. Kneading the dough will get your hands clean!

sent from a potato...
Is this a trick to get me to bake bread for the mister?!!!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
man, now you tell me? I could have been a poop scientist?

YEP! Study of POOP is Scatology; YOU could have been a Scatologist! Gotta teach 'em to float, according to Dr. Raymond Moody at UVA Hospital; he did a BIG "paper" on it, in the early 70's... ex-wife & I got a copy of it; we knew Raymond & family well, then (@ 1974). Gave it to "X" after our divorce in 1980. DRAT! NOW... "Out of print"; Coprology, I think it was called.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting