What's new

Melt Value?

ac385

Full Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
111
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ga
I have seen some posts that mention melting coins and separating the silver. Why would you want to do that? It seems like a 90% coin would be worth the silver weight that it contained plus a little for collector value so you would come out ahead leaving the coins in coin form. What am I missing?
 
Upvote 0
Hey ac-

Unless you have a flawless coin, rare date or error, 40% & 90% silver coins are worth no more than melt value hence the term "junk silver".
Even most Walkers and Franklin halves are worth no more than junk silver melt value.
 
Right. So why pay or go through the effort of melting the coins if you don't gain anything?
 
Have you been reading this forum at all? :D

If you could pay face value for a roll of half dollars ($10), and then sell it for 9 times face value ($90), would it be worth something to ya?

Any further questions? ;D
 
Most people sell them for their melt value; they don't melt them themselves. A regular ol' 1964 Kennedy, for example, is only worth $.50 at the store........and, luckily, the bank too. You buy it from the bank for $.50. At this moment silver is at $12.76 per ounce. That means your 1964 half has $4.62 silver value. You then take it to a coin dealer or gold exchange and, so they can make a little profit, they buy it from you for $3.50-$4.00. You have now increased your $.50 purchase by 7 to 8 times it's coin value. Congratulations!!! ;D
 
Yes I understand about buying the halfs at face value and them selling them for more. I am talking about people who actually have the coins melted.
 
ac385 said:
Yes I understand about buying the halfs at face value and them selling them for more. I am talking about people who actually have the coins melted.

I don't know of many people that actually melt the coins. You usually hear about refiners melting coins. So most of the time when you hear the term "melt" they are talking about the value and not the actual melting. As far as I know at the local level when people sell bags the bags just sit in inventory or they are sold into a pool until they are sold to someone else or shipped off to the refiner.

65GT350
 
I don't know of anyone on this site that melts them or has them melted and then keeps the bullion. There may be some but I don't recall seeing any such posts. The posts I've seen are about either keeping them or selling them outright for cash.
 
Wow, thanks. I have learned alot about "melt" prices with this posting...
never realized the details of it all until I used a few of the online melt calculators !!!

Never imagined that a single Franklin half was worth over $4 !
 
Great question! Simply put, there's a strong demand for silver. All new silver products have to come from somewhere. Whether it's for industrial use, jewelry, or coins, the silver coming from mining doesn't always meet the immediate demand. Silver is very difficult to mine by itself, and most mined silver is actually byproduct from other mining.

If a coin dealer has twenty bags of junk silver, he'll make a bigger profit selling the silver to a refiner than he would selling the coins individually---and that's only because it would theoretically take an extremely long time to sell each individual coin at a higher profit than for what the refiner would pay him all at once upfront. In other words, demand primarily exists for high-grade coins. Collectors won't pay a premium for common, worn down junk. Coin dealers are simply the middle men who accumulate large quantities of silver, which is the only profitable way to sell to a refiner. Collectors don't have enough silver to sell directly to a refiner (except maybe LJ. ;) ), so we must rely upon the coin dealer when we sell. The refiner pays the dealer more money for the silver than what the dealer pays us.

And from what I can gather, refiners don't like refining silver as much as other precious metals, because, when all is said and done, there's less likely to be valuable "precious metal sludge" at the bottom of the vat. Raw, unrefined platinum, palladium, and gold is variously alloyed with platinum, palladium, and gold, but after the metals are purified and separated, the refiners get to keep whatever is left over. When refining silver, you probably aren't going to have much platinum sludge left over. ::)

After the silver has been purified, it is then either sold back for a fee to the original seller if he/she wants it, or it is bought outright (most common) and then, when quantities allow, it is poured into what is known as a Good Delivery Bar and then sold to the highest contracted bidder. A gold Good Delivery bar must weigh between 350 and 430 ounces, and it must be assayed with a purity of at least 999.5. I don't remember the exact weight specifications for silver Good Delivery Bars, but it's approximately 1000 ounces per bar. One Good Delivery Bar is the minumum accepted amount of gold or silver deliverable against a metals contract. Spot prices, as determined in London every day, are based upon the buying and selling of Good Delivery Bars.
 
Except for war nickels. Since they contain manganese, they're dangerous to melt, so instead, they're soaked in acid until the silver separates itself.
 
Great info Fiat. I thought I knew a thing or two about silver and gold mining/smelting. Now I am better informed from a refiners angle. Thanks.

HH.
 
Thanks for the info fiat. It seems where the price of copper is going more refiners would take the 40% in. After melting them it would leave them with a lot of valuable copper "sludge" since 60% of each coin is copper.
 
Thanks fiatboy, that clears things up. I have seen some posts about bags going to the refiners, maybe one of your posts actually, and now it makes sense. Another post I saw went through the process of doing it yourself at home to cut out the middle man. That sounded like too much hassle and it also involved the use of some acids and chemicals to extract, separate and reform the silver. Selling to the middle man sounds like the best way to go.
 
Not to mention that you would need to buy or build your own smelter furnace in order to melt the stuff, and you would have the EPA breathing down your neck, not to mention the health and safety concerns lol.

MUCH easier to just sell to the refiners.
:)

And seriously...I get close enough to the actual value of the silver when I sell my halves that it would not even make sense to try and do it myself. I would lose a ton of money on the project, not to mention valuable time.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom