What's new

Melting Coins?

  • Thread starter Thread starter seger98
  • Start date Start date
S

seger98

Guest
Questions.......

1.Can the average guy send in coins to be melted? If so, where?

2.Do they pay the current melt down value?

I ask this because I was at a coin dealer today and he said he'd give me a whopping 65 cents for my 40% silver halves. I laughed....then I REALLY laughed when I saw that HE was selling them for 5.5 times face!

Thanks for any replies, seger98
 
Upvote 0
Why go to the hassle........ post an add in classifieds for the 1/2's....... Gayle
 
rsc said:
Why go to the hassle........ post an add in classifieds for the 1/2's....... Gayle

I agree, After shipping, assaying, and service charges you would not be making more that what was offered by the coin dealer. especially for 40% coins.
 
I got $2.12 per 40% last week at a coin show.
 
Now that doesn't sound bad at all...... good idea!
 
my 2 cents worth

There is a large silver and gold seller here in my town. The other day I was in soaking up his free atmosphere and a young man came in with a bag of halves. He had $500 face(1000 coins). They offered him $1.75 each for his 40%ers. Melt was right at $2.00 that day. I thought that was quite generous for a dealer to offer. I have paid as much as $2.20 a piece for them in the last 3 months but I am going to wait until the new year to start hoarding again. Do shop your coins around. There is an outfit in Louisville I think that some forum members have used. Cheers, Jim
 
I called around here yesterday. Highest? $1.10............not...........
 
The 40%'ers I've watched on Ebay usually go for a little over $2 when you factor in shipping.

Also, kitco is offering to buy for $1.8 each for 40%'ers. You do have to pay shipping to them.

http://genesiss.kitco.com/selling/index_refine.html

I have not used them personally, but they are a big, stable company.

Good luck
 
Thanks for the great replies, I'm glad I posted my question here........
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom