Menu from 1918

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning all and Happy Holidays!

At this time of the year I think about my ancestors and relatives I've lost as I'm sure many of you do also. I have some old pictures and papers from the past and like to go thru them a bit and thought I'd share this one.

Camp Lee Menu 4.jpg

My Granddad was drafted into WW1 in 1917 and wound up in 313th Field Artillery stationed at Camp Lee, Va. . He sustained some kind of an injury and was scheduled to be shipped home. He begged and pleaded to stay so they put him in the kitchen. He could cook a bit so they busied him with all kinds of kitchen tasks. When the Spanish Flu raged through the camp in 1918 many soldiers died and granddad had ever increasing responsibilities.

Here is an invitation to the officers of the regiment for Thanksgiving of 1918. Looks like a pretty good spread.

In the column listing the "First Cooks" his name is listed at the top.

He claimed he never got the flu because he ate a concoction of raw onion, garlic and honey. Those happen to be the main ingredients in what was known as the "Thieves Formula" during the Great Plague of 1350. It was widely used by looters as well as well as those who brought out and buried the dead. We have no idea how he knew about that unless it was family home remedy.

Best wishes and thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Upvote 16

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Attachment doesn't work.......

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes also Thanks for sharing

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Onions and garlic both contain natural antibiotics if eaten raw,cooking kills that quality.

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys I did a re-do. Now the image should open spontaneously. I had originally sized it up to medium because the image is type on the old budget paper that has the wood chips in it and is badly faded. Best wishes!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James Cash is correct. The flu itself didn't kill the people, it was mainly the secondary bacterial infections that did them in.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great piece of history, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger that Red and smokey!

Honey also has some great health benefits. I understand that some also made it with figs in the mixture. I believe it works by flooding the mucous membranes with fluid. When your eyes and nose are running like crazy the pneumonic pathogens can't stick to the tissues where they would be absorbed into the body. So, it's not a curative but a preventative. I don't know if the figs had any medicinal properties or if it was there just to help you get it down. My Granddad was so hard core he'd carry an onion in his pocket and take a bite if he felt the need. I'm sure when they were serving in the chow line they must have encountered lots of soldiers that had the bug but weren't symptomatic yet. Thanks for your input and Best wishes!

Addendum: I researched the fig aspect and found that figs contain a plethora or medicinal properties including stabilizers for the digestive tract, anti oxidants, appetite enhancing effects and quite a few others that might help someone experiencing multiple symptoms.

Last edited:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing... "D"

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks very much for sharing some of your family history with us Phil, it was an interesting read! :thumbsup:

This sounds similar to a drink/soup my wife likes to make herself, "concoction of raw onion, garlic and honey."
She then wonders why I don't want to get close to her for a few hours afterwards? :laughing9:
Dave

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, I suppose if you're up to your hocks in bodies that's probably the last thing you'd think about. Po, Po folks. The social reactions caused by the plaque are also very interesting.

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose in case of a pandemic I'd bonus up like this but I'm a firm believer in Chicken/Turkey soup. I've always been an outdoor cooking smoking kind of guy but a few years back I decided there was entirely too much bad soup on the market. I've always heard that cooked onions and garlic have no benefits but I've seen this stuff practically raise the dead. My daughter's a teacher down South and she's always getting sick. This time of the year I'll cook several Turkeys and save the carcasses and trimmings. Right before Christmas I'll cook them down and seal them into 1/2 quart concentrated packets. We'll send them home with the daughter so she has a few chances to bounce back. The packet, a quart of broth and the noodles of your choice.

It reminds me of an old joke about an elder woman who spoke out at a funeral and suggested they give the deceased some chicken soup. The minister said why, he's dead. To which she replied, well it couldn't hurt!

I also have knock out recipes for Ham and Bean, Gumbo and Beef Veg.

In light of the fact that most of us are outdoor hunter gatherer types there must be a lot of us that cook indoors outdoors and otherwise. I thought I'd seen a cooking forum when I joined a few months back, but I can't find it now. Perhaps there should be one. I expect we could stay busy on deer jerky for 2 yrs or so!

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How interesting!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread