Mercury and Gold from Graphite ? Safe Handling?

BentFunky

Jun 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I crushed up and panned a small sample of graphite. Was happy to find some electrum, since there is a good amount of graphite around.

I also noticed what appears to be a small globule of gold colored mercury rolling around in my gold pan. I?m old enough to remember playing with mercury in science class as a kid.

Finding mercury was unexpected, to say the least. However, according mindat.org, mercury and graphite can be found together.

Before crushing more graphite, I need to better understand how to handle/remove/dispose of mercury safely. Can someone point me to some info online?

Upvote 0

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it in water. It won't heat up and turn to vaper. Build, or buy a retort to safely remove the mercury from amalgem (sp).You Tube vids can help in making a retort.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your or a nearby city has facility to handle all "hazardous" materials... give them a call to see what to do with what you accumulate over time. If you have amalgam and extract the gold from it by some method you will still have to deal with the leftover "hazardous" material(s).

OP
OP
B

BentFunky

Jun 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that @mikep691's suggested use of a retort would allow me to separate precious metals from the mercy.

Samples of additional pieces of graphite showed what appears to be quite a lot of mercury. Unless I find really rich samples, my inclination is to leave it in the ground.

Definitely, one of the weirdest things I've seen. Up until now, I assumed that mercury would be found bound up in sulfides or some other compound.

Edit: Funny anecdote... the graphite in this area sets off my metal detector like crazy. I assumed that graphite must be a variety of hot rock. (I have extremely limited detecting experience.)

Now, I'm wondering if mercury in the graphite was responsible.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions