Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

Cool finds! It might be a blade off of ones a tractor would pull. WTG! HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Chances are it is. Usually are used by farmers mowing bar ditches in country or mowing hay before baling it. Arrowhead is I believe from a wooden shaft-that style I haven't seen for a few years as most have gone aluminum and are screw-in.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Nice digs TL, The blade is as Stoney said a hay cutter. a levered bar with many blades like shark teeth worked back and forth for cutting,Have found many.It could be from a horse or tractor drawn equipment.HH

D

Darod

Neat stuff.

The arrowhead is actually a common thing on the cheaper arrows you still get today at some places. Now, it may be an older one ??? But not sure if it has much value. Still a neat thing to find.

Good Job!

Rod

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
that blade looks like one of the hundreds I've replaced as worn on combines, sickle mowers, hay conditioners, Nearly every manufacturer of farm equipment for harvest uses the same blade even to this day.

The one I used on a Massey Ferguson 760 combine is the same as the one that I've put on a 1940s version of a sickle mower and a 70s Owatonna hay conditioner. Drill the rivets out, put on a new blade and pound the rivets flat. I've lost teeth like that when I tried to plow a terrace instead of mowing it!!:D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The larger object looks similar to one of my favorite filed finds. A plow point. I have found a dozend pieces in one day. Had to dump my trash holder it got to heavy. Looks like you got the whole thing I usuall find pieces that have broken off.

Ed Donovan

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Hey there TL. How's the move coming? I've left a lot of broad heads like the one you have there all over the mountains from archery hunting. I also replaces hundreds of cycle sections like the one you found when I used to work on ranches & a dairy in years gone by.

Has your hubby been detecting lately? Spotz

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs,

one thing these finds teach us is,

always be careful when diggin, never stick your hand in a hole when dealing with the "unknown" because you never know what's in the ground and can easily get cut, etc. and gloves are always a good idea for added protection!

HH

Dave_SLO

Greenie
Mar 4, 2005
Hey That is a tooth to this nice piece of farm equip.
hay_cutter1.jpg

Back when i was a kid i used one of these out on our ranch. :) brings back memories. Also if you have 3-4 of these you can make a really Cool throwing star by (welding or putting plugs through the holes) hehe Out at our ranch there is still one sticking in a tree that i couldnt get out.

NICEFINDS.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread