Metal Detecting A Historic New England Inn - A Lot of Lead!

Recovering Relics

Jan 12, 2010
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garret Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone!

I got permission to metal detect at a historic inn in New England. The inn was built in the early 1700's and we got permission to hunt some old walking trails that are behind the inn. I was hunting with my new Whites CoinMaster and my cousin was using my old Bounty Hunter Challenger. We weren't finding much, until I found what we believe to be a flintlock part to a musket, under a root. Then, we started finding musket balls. The first musket ball I found was a dropped one at around 4 inches. We were walking back to the inn to grab some lunch and then I got a signal in a dirt pile on the side of the trail. I started to dig when my cousin saw that there was a musket ball right on top of the ground! We spent the whole day detecting out in the woods. I found the majority of the musket balls on the side of a hill, right by the water. I think that there were people across the water firing at the hill side; maybe they were doing some target practice, hunting, or shooting at someone. Next time when I go, I am going to hunt on the other side of the water where I believe they were shooting from to look for other old relics. If I find more musket balls on that side, this may mean that there was a small battle. My finds at the end of the day were 12 musket balls and 1 flintlock part to a musket.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and the video!
Good luck and HH!

Attachments

• Finds From The Old Inn.jpg
    Finds From The Old Inn.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 500
  • Flintlock.jpg
    Flintlock.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0
Thanks for the pics and the video. It was a sweet production, it was like being out there with you guys. Dug up some good history...PP :headbang:

Potter Poker said:
Thanks for the pics and the video. It was a sweet production, it was like being out there with you guys. Dug up some good history...PP :headbang:

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the video! I know there is more there, but I'll have to wait until the Spring to dig it up! HH!

Excellent recoveries!! You have a very cool place to hunt :thumbsup:

With all the dropped musket balls you're finding, that flattened piece of lead could
have been used to wrap a gunflint on a flintlock. This lead would help cushion
the main body of the gun flint when the "vise jaw" of the hammer was tightened.

For fun, you may wish looking around in places where the soil has been eroded
away. . . you might find a few pieces of gun flint.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back