MrMikeJackie
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Nov 3, 2013
- Messages
- 1,771
- Reaction score
- 2,258
- Golden Thread
- 2
- Location
- Long Island
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 2
- Detector(s) used
- CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
- #1
Thread Owner
So I found a really good spot across from a preserve and started detecting. Found some really good coins and relics over the past month. Anyway, the caretaker from the preserve was watching me detect and came over. As he approached I thought to myself "oh boy here we go" but instead was met with a very pleasant "found anything good?". We chatted for a bit and he was rather surprised at my love of history and wanting to find old "stuff". He stated that he saw how I was removing a lot of garbage from this spot and couldn't even tell we're I had made any holes and why I haven't cone into the preserve to detect. I stated well it's a preserve and didn't think I could enter and detect. He said well its public property and run by the county so I don't see why you couldn't? So my question is, are all county run preserves open to metal detectorists? I have plenty of them where I live with a lot of history. It would open up a whole new world!
If you get a caretaker to allow you to then more power to you.
I'd advice checking with your town clerk or something to make sure your allowed to dig or not in said preserves. I think all they can really do is ask you to leave, not sure though...
Don't take anyone's word for it, make some calls and find out for sure. 







