New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Long story short, I spent the morning looking for a 1800's home site in the deep woods, could not find it. During that hunt I found a ax, pocket knife, and a stirrup. The stirrup seemed pretty old, after that I headed to a different spot that I have been waiting to hunt since last spring. I called my buddy to get his blessing, to make sure he was done deer hunting in there. I got the ok, so this spot has about 6 home sites with a couple of them very deep woods. I figured that most treasure hunters have not over the years made it back to these spots. I found two of the homesteads up close to where I knew people probably have hit. I detected there for a hour and a half only finding a stinking Lincoln. Until I stumbled across the brown bottle. My buddy told me about the bottles at this place, today I think I just scratched the surface. I found three bottles that were broke like the one in the pix that had pontil bottoms on them:BangHead: I'm going tomorrow, I will be detecting too. I'm very green about these bottles, the small clear one has "WYETH & BRO PHILAD'A" on it. The brown one says on the back Federal law forbids sale or re-use of this bottle.

Any age, value or ID's would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting this in the Bottle forum too
Thanks for looking and thank you in advance for any help from you great people of treasurenet!
Brad

Just wanted to add these photos of the metal I found at the earlier site/hunt for site

Last edited:
Upvote 7

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Brad,

Glad you got some glass. The amber brandy is Post Prohibition, and really has no collector value. The John Wyeth & Bro. is 60-80 years older. I'd want to be returning to the location where you found that, and the broken amber medicine.

The Wyeth may have a bit of value, if that's not a hole in the base, in the $5 range. Wyeth was hugely successful, so the bottles are most common.

John Wyeth history.

tumblr_mt2lwynvHr1rnubcbo1_500.jpg

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know much about old bottles ether.But i see, some old coins in your future.looks like you got a good skull collection going on there also.good luck man.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brad,

Glad you got some glass. The amber brandy is Post Prohibition, and really has no collector value. The John Wyeth & Bro. is 60-80 years older. I'd want to be returning to the location where you found that, and the broken amber medicine.

The Wyeth may have a bit of value, if that's not a hole in the base, in the $5 range. Wyeth was hugely successful, so the bottles are most common.

John Wyeth history.

Thank you again Surf, you are the boss, or how do the kids say it," you are a boss" haaaaa
I will be spending serious time there tomorrow, I will be packing a lunch and bringing in my bottled water.

Thank you too Digiron, I'm hoping I find those dates on some nice silvers and maybe some LC's, I'm taking newspaper in with me, hoping to wrap up some old pontil base bottles that are still intact, cross your fingers guys.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I love old glass! Haven't done any bottle hunting in years. Thanks for the pics, It brings back good memories.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treblehunter there is something really good coming your way I feel it I just don't know what it is, but congrats go for it! Your gonna find something really good!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just looking at the clear bottle for mold seams and noticed it has pontil marks on the bottom. What do you think now guys?

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Brad,

I'm sorry to say, that's not a pontil scar. The Wyeth's form is called a strap side Union Oval Prescription, or Baltimore Oval. It's circa 1880, and about 15 years beyond the pontil era of US bottles.

Have a look at the druggist section of Bill Lindsey's site for the SHA:

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, your on the mark Mt. Joe, I'm a little green on the bottles, the broken brown one in the pix, I'm almost 99.9% that it, and a couple other broken bottles had pontil scars on there bottoms. Few more hours and I'll be back there, I have to start early, chance of snow. I put my 5 X 8 DD search coil on so I can snipe around all that trash and iron. I would love to find a 1870's seated something, I have not found seated and allot of other old coins. The way I figure, on any given day I can find change in my pocket that dates back easy 50 years. Some of the dates I know of from this site are pretty darn old, so 50 years back from that?? Pretty darn exciting when you think about it.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surf is correct that is not a pontil mark. I've dug and collected bottles for many years. Your bottles date from 1890-1910 . They are not machine made but blown in a mold and the top was applied later..hence the reason the seam does not run all the way up the lip. As far as value not much and even less because the condition is not great. A few bucks each if you could find a buyer. Having said that you are in the age dump where if you dig enough you may find some decent bottles . And remember always dig to the bottom of the dump ..that's where the oldest stuff will be.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle -Dumb

Nice bottles.
As I stated i,m bottle-dumb [ no next to nothing about bottles]
except the ones with the cork types are the ones to look for ( mostly).
That said ; What does 'Pontil' style mean.?
Is it a mark left from being hand made?:dontknow:
Davers

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottles.
As I stated i,m bottle-dumb [ no next to nothing about bottles]
except the ones with the cork types are the ones to look for ( mostly).
That said ; What does 'Pontil' style mean.?
Is it a mark left from being hand made?:dontknow:
Davers
It is a mark left from being hand blown, check out this link.
Pontil Scars

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottles TH but I like that old stirrup. Should clean up nicely. HH, Q.

Thanks Q, its fun looking!

It was in the middle of nowhere woods, not a signal within a few hundred yd radius, what's best way of cleaning it, soak in cider vinegar?

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gaspipe and Surf, I went back and got the one broken bottle that I thought for sure has a pontil scar. Here is a pic, it is the one in the group of pix from top.
Brad

sweetrelease

Sep 26, 2013
new jersey
Detector(s) used
at pro and ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that mark is from an early bottle making machine. they started using machines around 1909. I've been digging and collecting bottles for about 15 years. I collect mostly early 1800's bottles from jersey . you want some help "cleaning" that spot let me know lol.. ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread