Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Upvote 0

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Good luck with it. Does the military care if you bring a metal detector? I gather not.

OP
OP
navychief1968

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
bergie said:
Good luck with it. Does the military care if you bring a metal detector? I gather not.

Not really. I take at least one detector everywhere I go. I may not get a chance to use it, but I sure hate getting caught without it.

OP
OP
navychief1968

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Tim,

Medal Detecting is legal in Bahrain. That I am sure of. They even sell metal detectors in Bahrain. I have a point of contact (a bahraini national) and he gave me the low down. He really didn't go into where you can hunt or what kind of items a person could expect to find, but he did provide me with enough info to inspire me to pack up my detector and take it with me. I also talked with my neighbor who spent a year in Bahrain and he said there are several beaches in the county that Westerners use to sunbath. He didn't know if you could metal detect on them because they are private beaches. I am researching that right now.

P.S.
I'll e-mail you back after supper.

Chris Reynolds
Chief Petty Officer, USN

netling

Jan 12, 2005
Dear Chris and Tim,

Welcome to the Middle East... Let me introduce myself. My name is Charles Mason, born and bread in the great US of A. I have been in Dubai, United Arab Emirates for 4.5 years now. While not in the Navy, my father spent 21 years in the US service of which 13-15 years of it in the Navy. Additionally, my brother is currently in the Navy and has been deployed here a couple of times. I was originally here on contract, after which I started my own business here and things haven't stopped since.

I can give you a couple of tips to the area but not on metal detecting as I am a newby myself. First, get your equipment in the US (at least the metal detector) or you will be paying a lot more. Second, while researching into the legal issues here in UAE, be careful of metal detecting around the local ladies and mindful of private beaches. Was told that if a really nice item was found and just happened to get pulled the local police, notify them of your find as items of such do get reported to the police as missing, and if you notify them first then they can not say that you were trying to "steal" the found item. This also applies toward selling any found jewelry, so either sell aboard, melt it down, or turn it in as found (but don't ever expect to see it again.).

The area is rich in culture, history and people. if you haven't been out here before, get ready for the shock of your life!!! Very little of what the news back home portrays is correct. Especially, here in Dubai which is the most westernized city in the Middle East. Plenty of bars, clubs, women, parties, drinking, etc. Other freedoms that we lost back home (mostly for good reason, I don't mean that in a negative way.); smoking almost anywhere is common such as meetings, public, etc. Drinking and driving as long as you are driving straight, not a major issue because you are an american as you get treated with respect here versus other third world nationalities.

Email me direct at (c mason @ net ling . com) and when you come into the region look me up... you have a place to stay in Dubai. I will send you some photos of the area and send you more information if requested.

With great respect to both of you.
Charles Mason

OP
OP
navychief1968

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Charles,

Thanks For all the great information. I'll be contacting you via e-mail later today.

Very Respectfully,

Chris Reynolds
Chief Petty Officer, USN

roselynie

Feb 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chris,

So happy to find out that metal detecting is legal in Bahrain. Could you help me where to buy? Thanks much!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread