Metal detecting in Spain.. Catalonia/Barcelona?

EngraverHand

Mar 3, 2024
Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I understand the laws and rules might be different from area to area and where I live itĀ“s not allowed to go hunting with a detector on the beaches in Sitges, Barcelona due to the high amount of ancient coins on the beaches and they don't want tourists to grab them.. and are better where they are, in the sand I guess.

If I would go hunting on the beach, i would mainly be interested in the tourists losses rather than the ancient and precious metal.. not that itĀ“s not interesting, but.. I will imagine it can be loads of fun things left behind by tourists.

I don't know if that is a law in Catalonia, Barcelona or a local law in Sitges where I live.. even though I like it or not, IĀ“m not going to challenge the rules as I don't want any tickets, the gear taken or give the hobby a bad name. Anyone know more about rules in Catalonia/Barcelona or where to search for such rules?

Anyone know of any groups, clubs, organizations, pages or anything about metal detecting, especially in the Catalonia/Barcelona area? :-)

Marius

Upvote 1
OP
OP
EngraverHand

EngraverHand

Mar 3, 2024
Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other day when I went to the beach, just when I took up the detector and started a police car passed me, and they both looked at me like what are this idiot doing, and I was looking at them with great fear in my eyes, trying to smile.. and they just carried on driving. About 30 min later another police car passsed.. I pretended I didnt see them, but I was the only one on the beach and obvious what I was doing.. they didnĀ“t care and just continued. I spent a couple of more hours on the beach and went home. :-)

Last Thursday I went to another beach.. obviously in the afternoon just before sunset and a few people passing me just smiled curiously..

Dava_UA

Apr 7, 2024
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Garrett ACE Apex
The other day when I went to the beach, just when I took up the detector and started a police car passed me, and they both looked at me like what are this idiot doing, and I was looking at them with great fear in my eyes, trying to smile.. and they just carried on driving. About 30 min later another police car passsed.. I pretended I didnt see them, but I was the only one on the beach and obvious what I was doing.. they didnĀ“t care and just continued. I spent a couple of more hours on the beach and went home. :-)

Last Thursday I went to another beach.. obviously in the afternoon just before sunset and a few people passing me just smiled curiously..
Wow, interesting! What about other areas lets say more quite and not beaches? For example some old trade roads and trails, Roman sites and so on. If I go to the forest with locals ask me questions? You see in my case I am more of a forest/old maps hunting personality haha. I would look it to it in the more depth.
Thank you! 8-)

OP
OP
EngraverHand

EngraverHand

Mar 3, 2024
Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, interesting! What about other areas lets say more quite and not beaches? For example some old trade roads and trails, Roman sites and so on. If I go to the forest with locals ask me questions? You see in my case I am more of a forest/old maps hunting personality haha. I would look it to it in the more depth.
Thank you! 8-)
Well, talking about quiet.. I would never go to a beach when itĀ“s full of people, only when itĀ“s quiet anyway :-)

But to your question.. Old trade roads and trails IĀ“m not sure about. It depends if it is in a private property or public. if it was public I would go, if itĀ“s private I would make sure to ask the owner for permission.. unless itĀ“s very far from any kind of people. IĀ“m not sure I would go to old Roman sites as I think that goes under historic places and there itĀ“s not allowed. Not sure anyone would say or do anything, probably just smile and be curious.. but you might also meet the one that knows itĀ“s not allowed. Now this is not my first priority anyway so not sure what I would do if it was.. :-)

I think you should be good to go in most forests, just make sure to cover any holes and dont make a mess :-)

eyemarkii

Apr 8, 2024
As I understand the laws and rules might be different from area to area and where I live itĀ“s not allowed to go hunting with a detector on the beaches in Sitges, Barcelona due to the high amount of ancient coins on the beaches and they don't want tourists to grab them.. and are better where they are, in the sand I guess.

If I would go hunting on the beach, i would mainly be interested in the tourists losses rather than the ancient and precious metal.. not that itĀ“s not interesting, but.. I will imagine it can be loads of fun things left behind by tourists.

I don't know if that is a law in Catalonia, Barcelona or a local law in Sitges where I live.. even though I like it or not, IĀ“m not going to challenge the rules as I don't want any tickets, the gear taken or give the hobby a bad name. Anyone know more about rules in Catalonia/Barcelona or where to search for such rules?

Anyone know of any groups, clubs, organizations, pages or anything about metal detecting, especially in the Catalonia/Barcelona area? :-)

Marius
How can i get the charge contact peg for Xp225 and the long screw for mounting the handle to the base.
I really need this for my old xp 225.
My WhatsApp number is +260977777990 Lusaka, zambi

OP
OP
EngraverHand

EngraverHand

Mar 3, 2024
Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How can i get the charge contact peg for Xp225 and the long screw for mounting the handle to the base.
I really need this for my old xp 225.
My WhatsApp number is +260977777990 Lusaka, zambi
IĀ“m sorry, I dont know what you are talking about. You better start your own post about this. Nobody will probably see it here..

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your looking at this in ALL the wrong way, Metal Detectors have been around for more than 50 years, just because your a newby doesn't mean everyone is... These Police have seen people on the beaches almost every day doing what you are doing and that's why they keep driving, I'm telling you from years of experience that you will not be finding anything "OLD" on the beaches, while looking for money or jewelry, Obviously they don't care, because if they did they would stop and say something to you... Not "what are you doing" because they know...
I used to take my X wife with me hunting and when the Guardia Civil would show up, I said .. Smile and be friendly, act stupid like you don't know your doing anything other than what other people do... If they ask you to leave, ask them what beach you can walk on ... I'm sure nothing is going to happen !! They might ask you what do you find, AND the correct answer is .... Drum roll please... "Not much, a few coins and some trash... nothing old" and if you want, pull a handful of garbage out of your pocket and show them...
Public people love people who are cleaning up their trashy beach !!

OP
OP
EngraverHand

EngraverHand

Mar 3, 2024
Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your looking at this in ALL the wrong way, Metal Detectors have been around for more than 50 years, just because your a newby doesn't mean everyone is... These Police have seen people on the beaches almost every day doing what you are doing and that's why they keep driving, I'm telling you from years of experience that you will not be finding anything "OLD" on the beaches, while looking for money or jewelry, Obviously they don't care, because if they did they would stop and say something to you... Not "what are you doing" because they know...
I used to take my X wife with me hunting and when the Guardia Civil would show up, I said .. Smile and be friendly, act stupid like you don't know your doing anything other than what other people do... If they ask you to leave, ask them what beach you can walk on ... I'm sure nothing is going to happen !! They might ask you what do you find, AND the correct answer is .... Drum roll please... "Not much, a few coins and some trash... nothing old" and if you want, pull a handful of garbage out of your pocket and show them...
Public people love people who are cleaning up their trashy beach !!
Why am I looking at this ALL wrong? The big fear in my eyes was a joke.. anyway, first of all IĀ“m looking for good fresh air, second IĀ“m not really looking for anything old.. IĀ“m sure it would be fun, but IĀ“m not really into history either and if I find anything at all its a bonus.. it was fun digging up a few corroded coins, third I felt great cleaning up the beach.. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread