Metal detecting in the snow

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well unless the ground is frozen I wouldn’t recommend. But millions of us live in the snow and r tired of waiting for dam springtime to come. What experience has showed is the ground difference regarding detection in snow or depth of snow lacking the ability to search, ok will wait for responses from all you experts regarding md in the snow, thanks

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect where the city piles up snow, but that's after it melts down. Every so often someone calls for a detectorist when they've lost something valuable in the snow, and that's usually a pretty easy find if they have the location narrowed down.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When it's snow season and the ground is not frozen I used to detect as long as the snow was only a couple inches deep. I've been known to chisel clad out of the gravel in flea market lots. I now go into the woods if I detect in the winter.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the ground is frozen and it is at this time...then its of to the woods! :icon_thumleft:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector seems to work the same in the snow but not much to detect except sledding hills and snow banks near parking areas. Rings do fall off easily in the cold and glove pull them off as well.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
49er, most detector circuitry is not generally designed with freezing weather in mind. Many things happen in frozen conditions: Battery issues, cable shielding becomes brittle and can break at the slightest movement, expansion and contraction issues with plastics on any unit but water proof or water repellent units have issues with seals splitting cracking and bending. While some units handle the cold just fine other units its a death sentence.
If it has to be done, go get that yard sale special and use it, that way if it goes its not a big deal.
I recommend using the time for researching new area's or locations. This is the time of the year I make contact with most of my past present and new property owners.
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!!
Opie

Fredsnow

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, why not? It helps to keep TRACK of things. :laughing7:
IMAG2671.jpg

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect year round, but if you can't, practice swinging your detector every day keeping the coil level with your opposite arm while your cooped up. When detecting season starts you will be able to use both arms with same efficiency when your dominant arm gets fatigued.
Jon

Last edited:

Carlitosway2

Apr 11, 2016
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
(Favorite) CTX 3030
(Back up) whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been hitting the beaches cause of frozen ground. Going threw bad withdrawals since I’m a dirty kinda guy. But in the past when ground isn’t frozen solid with just a few inches of snow is the best cause you can see your tracks and grid out a nice tight area.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time i went detecting in the snow was to locate a license plate that came off the truck in the snow bank....found it!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woods are good spots or travel somewhere else

MT_Thunter

May 5, 2014
Bozeman, Montana
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500 AT Gold Infinium ls
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have chiseled mercury dimes out of a swimming pool area in a snow blizzard with the wind blowing at seventy in eastern Montana

VonDigger

Dec 13, 2009
Baden, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not doing anything here till spring thaw. Right now, my woods is frozen solid. I would need a jack hammer to make a hole LOL. So Using this time to follow some leads and research some new spots. :)

VonDigger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread