Jesusfreakmccn

Jan 20, 2014
North East England
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All

I've doing research into metal detecting laws for every country and I'm stuck on Holland/Netherlands? Maybe they have no laws against it at all but I cannot find any info at all on this country.

Perhaps there is a friendly metal detector out there that would provide some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance.:icon_scratch:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you are from my neck of the woods...Northeast England, I'm just near Middlesbrough, Holland has strict rules on detecting and declaring finds, you need to speak to a member called Woody who is from there, but he has not been on for a while now.

SS

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hello All

I've doing research into metal detecting laws for every country and I'm stuck on Holland/Netherlands? Maybe they have no laws against it at all but I cannot find any info at all on this country.

Perhaps there is a friendly metal detector out there that would provide some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance.:icon_scratch:

Hi Jesus-freak, interesting research topic. Few questions:

a) Is this going to be info. that you put out on the web, when you are done? If so, great!

b) How are you going about compiling this information? I mean, besides, this one country, of course, what methods are you using to get the other's info's ?

c) How do you handle it when it doesn't necessarily say "no detecting", but .... ancillary things *could* be morphed to apply to md'ing. You know, shipwreck salvor laws, raiding the pyramaids cultural heritage stuff, etc... yet ... aren't, in actual practice, applied to fumble finger beach stuff, etc... In other words, laws which aren't specific, but ... could be said to be, depending on who you asked, how you asked it, etc...

d) And how do you handle the answers which might come back dire sounding, yet not necessarily apply to private land with permission ? I mean, that whatever answer you get, is of course, for public land (they're public laws afterall), yet may have no bearing on a farmer and his personal field. England for example is like that, hence 95% of all hunting is done on farmers fields. So you might find something horrible sounding, yet ... only applies to public.

OP
OP
J

Jesusfreakmccn

Jan 20, 2014
North East England
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey hello there Silver Searcher. I appreciate your reply. I'm writing a book and I am stuck on bloody Holland and Belgium ! I would like to receive any info you can give me. I know it is a bit geeky but I actually find the different laws anabolic and a bloody irrational mess. Suppose I did practice law so it would interest me.

Where do you go hunting? You are very close to me and I'd like to buddy up with someone (especially if there are Boro supporters) !

I look forward to hearing from you. I'm going to contact my cousin for permission to hunt his farm fields around North Yorks area and I'd love to have a friend to keep me company.

Oh, by the way, if I give you a copy of my book when it it finished would you be willing to return a review on it?

Cheers mate. Swing low and Happy hunting. Claire

OP
OP
J

Jesusfreakmccn

Jan 20, 2014
North East England
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tom. I'm writing a metal detecting book and in the 'information' section I am trying to give the different laws for different countries. I have compiled this information from various sources e.g. websites, forums and my own knowledge as of law as I am also a lawyer!
Yes I agree with you that sometimes the law is not clear but I've used my legal skills to the best of my abilities to not mislead anyone.

As you can image, it is not been an easy feat and indeed, I am sure I cannot possibly get everything correct. If I am in doubt, I will say so.

Book launches in about a month. Its called T.R.I.P.S. Handbook for Treasure Hunting (Tips, resources, Information, Permissions, Search)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for the update Jesus-freak. When your book is finished, make a shame-less pitch somewhere here on T'net, and you should get interested customers. For the "laws of Europe" part anyhow. There's little written on that. And what is out there, is incomplete, dubious, arbitrary, etc... I mean, for example the website (I'm sure you're aware) which purports to list the laws of various European countries, doesn't even have a lot of the smaller countries. (nor does it include anything further east than Europe, etc...). And those countries they DO list, are often time dire sounding, yet the site makes no distinction on variables, like private land, or that those laws might only apply to "registered sites", or whatever. Or that whatever "law" is referenced there is for shipwreck salvors, exporting gold bars, or other such silly things, yet has no bearing on casual beach hunting for modern change , etc...

It would be difficult to make a book with all those factors . A lot of which are fluid and how you conduct-yourself type equations. Nor would any author want to "put himself on the line" and say "sure, come one come all", because .... let's face it .... any passer-by can gripe. And try to say something ancillary morphs apply to your hobby. So I can't imagine how you're going to go about this.

Unless it's merely going to be one-liners with only federal level type stuff, like the already-existing website tried to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread