Metal detecting the Mexican "Riviera Maya"

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My wife and I decided to go to Mexico in February and of course I planned on bringing my detector. I heard that some of the laws had changed so I contacted the hotel and to my surprise I was advised it's no longer allowed. Has anyone else gone to this area and experienced this?

Here's the letter I received...
"Regarding Metal Detecting on the beach is not allowed in the State in Quintana Roo (Riviera Maya), because all the beaches are protected for the government, mostly all our beaches are Turtle and endemic animals Sanctuary. The Mexican Law is really clear with this kind of felony and apply strongs penalties like jail."

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Where did you hear that "some of the laws had changed " ?

The end of that quote refers to "Mexican law". As if that answers your question on THAT particular beach, in THAT particular state. But the problem is, that if this is true, then wouldn't that make all beaches in Mexico off-limits as well?

And since when do metal detectors harm turtles? Me thinks your "pressing questions" got passed on by the hotel to some pencil pusher, who passes it on to the local nature conservation board, blah blah. And now you are the latest victim of "no one cared until you asked " psychology.

Or perhaps someone prior to you asked. Got that silly answer, so now they pass it on the next inquirers. Hence a supposed law is born. That no one can ever put to rest. The next person sees links to rumors such as this, and likewise goes groveling to fetch "safe answers " :(

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think tom is right. But im not sure. I whould have tried and then let them tell me no. They like tourist dollars and I think you would just have been told to stop if that were the law. I dont think they would lock you up or take your machine. You could just say you were under the impression that it was ok, sorry sir wont happen again. But there are a lot of myan ruins down there and colonial shipwrecks so who knows maybe they have changed the laws. That statement you got sounds like the standard hotel B.S. I sure would hate to be the guy that told you wrong though. My buddies kid just went to cancun and hunted the beach there.

OP
OP
Hangingfor8

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm pretty pi$$ed to say the least. At over 1000 bucks a night I could of gone a lot of places but we chose there because of the weather, geography, and to visit the ruins. If this is true I won't come back. If it weren't already booked and everything paid for I would cancel. I thinking of trying to call some one in the Mexican Govt for answers.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... But there are a lot of myan ruins down there and colonial shipwrecks so who knows maybe ......

So what? The USA also has sensitive historic monuments, shipwrecks (ala Mel fisher legal hassles) and ARPA. But that doesn't mean our beaches are off limits .

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... I thinking of trying to call some one in the Mexican Govt for answers.

And you might just end up perpetuating the same safe answer psychology you are now in.

This whole "Mexico is off-limits to md'rs " rumor was perpetuated in the 1980s by something Fisher Co. Published in one of their newsletter periodicals. And how did they get their information? They merely ask a border lawyer consulate Archie guy. (Hey.... who better to ask than Mexico themselves, eh?). Yet obviously Mexico has no shortage of md'rs.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pretty pi$$ed to say the least. At over 1000 bucks a night I could of gone a lot of places but we chose there because of the weather, geography, and to visit the ruins. If this is true I won't come back. If it weren't already booked and everything paid for I would cancel. I thinking of trying to call some one in the Mexican Govt for answers.

My wife and I have been to that resort. Spent 10 days there visiting ruins (Tulum), snorkling at Xel-Ha, horseback beach rides into the sea...wonderful time we had. This was almost 15 years ago. Things change I know. (Like the price per night! Woah! Think we were at 6k for 10 days.)

If I were to go back I'd do the Adventura Palace a bit south from the R. Maya. All inclusive....ALL as in want a turkey for dinner (not native to Mexico) they will have one drop shipped from the U.S. to the resort with advanced notice. That place is very nice...and not family friendly. No kids allowed! Thats where mom and dad are going back to one day.

I'm interested in your discovery on mexican law as my wife and I were just discussing our current upcoming vacation and plans were discussed for the following one and Mexico was brought up. So please post back if you confirm anything.

Good luck and enjoy Mexico!

Edit: It's the Aventura Spa Palace and looks like nobody is going there. Hurricane must have taken it out some years back and never rebuilt? Bummer...the tour had me drooling. 7 Liquors on tap in every room...place made the R. Maya look like a Days Inn. :(

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
$1,000 a night! Wow! Prices certainly have changed since we were last there.

Where are you going? We visited many of the ruins and they are fascinating. There are very good local guides and it's well worth the money to hire one.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

samorano

Apr 20, 2009
MEXICO
Detector(s) used
MALA GPR,GP 3000,TEJON,Deus,rutus 71,vista smart,ctx 3030.
Hi I just got back from Cancun took my ctx 3030 went hunting to the beaches no problem there is local hunters and retired people that live in isla mujeres that hunt the beaches the local people are familiar with detectors no problem I would hunt at 8pm until 1 am no body Bader me had fun the beaches are federal Government and there is no law restricting detecting so have fun. Van Stewart

OP
OP
Hangingfor8

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hotel Esencia | Luxury Beach Resorts | Tulum, Mexico
heres the link to the place we are staying. It came highly recommended by some close friends who stayed there. We opted for one of the nicer rooms which bumped up the price. I need to find a govt contact to confirm this information on detecting. If anyone has any luck finding a person in the govt to contact please let me know. My Spanish is limited so I hope I find a bilingual person on the phone. Thanks everyone for your input and for helping. It's going to suck if I can't detect.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh jeeeeze...... You went and woke Tom up! :laughing7:

So what? The USA also has sensitive historic monuments, shipwrecks (ala Mel fisher legal hassles) and ARPA. But that doesn't mean our beaches are off limits . So are you saying Mexico is the same as the USA? Or are you trying to say we are allowed to MD even the beaches that are off limits to MDing here? :icon_scratch:

The end of that quote refers to"Mexican law". As if that answers your question on THAT particularbeach, in THAT particular state. But the problem is, that if this is true, thenwouldn't that make all beaches in Mexico off-limits as well?

Would it? You do realize the laws change almost daily there. Did you take the time to think of the language difference? Maybe they were trying to say private beaches? Did you think Tom that they might not have the vast knowledge of Mexican law that you have?

And since when do metal detectors harm turtles? Me thinks your "pressingquestions" got passed on by the hotel to some pencil pusher, who passes iton to the local nature conservation board, blah blah. And now you are thelatest victim of "no one cared until you asked " psychology.

Simple answer? Detectors don't but the guy waving it does stepping on nests. Sure glad you cleared that up for us since none of our beaches are ever closed when the turtles are laying eggs or the grunion are running.:laughing7:

Or perhaps someone prior to you asked. Got that silly answer, so now they passit on the next inquirers. Hence a supposed law is born. That no one can everput to rest. The next person sees links to rumors such as this, and likewisegoes groveling to fetch "safe answers "

You keep saying rumors? :icon_scratch: How do y - Oops never mind! I forgot your vast expertise in Mexican law.

Put your anti ask anyone anything rhetoric down & think. Communication differences :icon_thumright: Maybe the secretary that typed up the letter didn't have a good enough command of English to say "not allowed on our beach". Or didn't understand that simply asking was considered groveling by Tom In Ca.

Tom, you should write them a letter or give them a call! Set those Mexican folks straight! Enlighten them with your vast knowledge of Mexican law!!! And let them know we don't have to ask permission for anything, and were dummies if we do!! :laughing7:
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I'd suggest starting with:

Consulate of Mexico In Orlando
Address: 2550 Technology Dr, Orlando, FL 32804
Phone: (407) 422-0514

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i detected river mia at my hotel two years ago no one said a thing to me, also i went to Playa del carmen this past October walked right down to where the main shopping and docks walked past everyone gear in hand past people including police and all i got was Did you find anything and good luck! along with hey come buy my stuff the usual attempt to engage you in conversation in hopes of you buying something just to shut them up.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Quote from Tom:
.... "So what? The USA also has sensitive historic monuments, shipwrecks (ala Mel fisher legal hassles) and ARPA. But that doesn't mean our beaches are off limits" ....

Your reply :
..... So are you saying Mexico is the same as the USA? ....

No, I'm saying that "national level" laws and "existence of historic sensitive off-limits sites" covered by those federal/national laws, do not NECESSARILY make all land within the border to border federal subject to federa level laws. JUST as in the USA we too have dire sounding laws, yet they do not cover all lesser/sub level entity lands.

Notice I say "necessarily". Because, sure, some nation *could* have something different. I'm just saying that if some person in another country like this gives you those laws that cover their sacred monuments or shipwreck salvor stuff (or turtle stuff) doesn't necessarily mean they've correctly extrapilated to be the answer relating to casual fumble fingers beach goers losses. I can give you example after example after example of this mistake being made. Both in the USA and abroad.

Again: Not saying that some nation may not indeed have "border to border" single-law covers everything (even private land!). But if this is now true of Mexico, you have 10's of thousand of illegal hobbyists. Because there's no shortage of md'rs there.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... You do realize the laws change almost daily there. Did you take the time to think of the language difference? Maybe they were trying to say private beaches? Did you think Tom that they might not have the vast knowledge of Mexican law that you have?...

Sure ! "Laws can change" ! And if they do, by all means obey the new law.

But given the answer the hotel had given him, they didn't seem to be referencing a "new law". Or to the extent it was "new" perhaps, it was "new" to turtles, or historic sensitive monuments.

Re.: the possibility they were saying to apply to a "private beach" of theirs. Is this beach the OP is going to "private" ? And in any case, this doesn't logically follow, given the context of their answer. They refer to some supposed law they think says "no". If it were a private property issue, then they'd have said "we don't allow that". So you see, by referring to public laws (governing public land), that "private beach" question here doesn't see to hold merit.

As for their likeliness of knowing more about Mexican law, than some couch potato here in the USA : Sure ! Perhaps they do ! But I can give you example after example after example of locals (archies, hotel desk clerks, border consulate lawyers, etc...) giving such "safe" answers (d/t they envisioned that it is an off-shoot of shipwreck salvor or pyramid raiding type laws), that had utterly no grounding in reality.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Simple answer? Detectors don't but the guy waving it does stepping on nests. Sure glad you cleared that up for us since none of our beaches are ever closed when the turtles are laying eggs or the grunion are running. ...

Dude, the solution is simple then: Go where regular beach goers are not dis-allowed. Beaches that aren't closed . How much you wanna make a bet that the beach in front of the OP's hotel isn't off-limits to beacher sunbathing, swimming, sand castles, etc... ? Otherwise, what's the point of going to a beach resort if you can't go to the beach ? Just not in fragile dune restorations, not on/in closed beaches where turtles are mating, etc... Hence it sounded like a "safe answer" psychology to me !

....And let them know we don't have to ask permission for anything, ...

He wasn't asking permission. He was asking what the laws were.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Mexico doesn't have "private beaches." Beaches are Federal property open to all (unless it is a military installation or otherwise specifically protected).

Like California, the issue is access. It just may take a hike to get there.

Tourists, by definition, are guests in another country. Welcome guests in many cases, of course. But guests nonetheless. It's smart for guests to be polite and learn the local customs as well as the laws, rules and regulations.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... It's smart for guests to be polite and learn the local customs as well as the laws, rules and regulations. .....

Sure. And the way to do that is to look them up for oneself. Rather than risking getting something silly like "disturbing earthworms" or "harvest and remove" applied to your "pressing question". But sure, if it's truly written "no metal detecting", then by all means, abide. And to find that out, simply look up (or ask for) "the rules regarding the beach usage". Eg.: no dogs allowed, don't bother turtles, etc.... If you see nothing there that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not disallowed.

And as "local customs", Sure: If other people md there ad-nauseum, then that sounds like a "custom" to metal detect to me, eh ? :dontknow:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, the solution is simple then: Go where regular beach goers are not dis-allowed. Beaches that aren't closed . How much you wanna make a bet that the beach in front of the OP's hotel isn't off-limits to beacher sunbathing, swimming, sand castles, etc... ? Otherwise, what's the point of going to a beach resort if you can't go to the beach ? Just not in fragile dune restorations, not on/in closed beaches where turtles are mating, etc... Hence it sounded like a "safe answer" psychology to me !

He wasn't asking permission. He was asking what the laws were.
At the risk of setting you off on another multi post long dissertation. There is a real possibility of a communication difference ya think??. Since you seem to have this huge amount of legal knowledge regarding Mexico. I'm sure you already know the laws are not uniform there. The laws are what the folks with power & money or law enforcement (I use that loosely) say they are. Tom, I have to say, after running around in Mexico a lot over the years, you couldn't pay me enough to make a trip with you. I value not being thrown in jail because of my loud mouth know it all amigo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread