Metal Detecting TV Shows! Successful or Not?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note: This is NOT a question on your opinions re: the shows content or how it reflects on the hobby. There has got to be a hundred of those threads already!

First, do you think the shows are an economical success? Not just for the producers/networks but for MD sales in general?
If yes, why wouldn't the MD companies be throwing advertising dollars and sponsorship at 'em or even producing their own shows?

Opinions/Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Wilton_Kayne

Apr 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do know from being subscribed to Garret's YouTube channel that they have done a meet and greet and a couple of other videos with KG and Ringy from Diggers. I think that there is the possibility they endorse the show. Think about it, it's basically a 22 minute advertisement. If I'm not mistaken, the detectors they use are AT Golds and their pinpointers are definitely Propointers.

As for me, I have always enjoyed the thought of md'ing, but Diggers is what influenced me to purchase my first detector. If it can influence one to do it, I'm sure it will have the same effect on many.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wouldn't make a difference for those who already detect, and I would guess a little bump with those who it finally puts over the edge to try it, but for everyone else it's probably just another reality show with people acting like idiots. It's such a small % of the population who detect, even though I would guess the numbers are fairly small, it is making a difference.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We should probably get our site sponsors on here to chime in. They'll be the ones to ask if sales are up or not....and why.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Watching Diggers got me into the hobby. Ringy and KG use exclusively Garrett... they even use the hand tool and pouch. You gotta know that Garrett is involved.

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used garrett detectors way before they were on tv. They started by making DVDs and selling them on ebay. To make money to help pay for trips to detect. Another good show is dirt fishin america on YouTube. Dr tones and Dirt diggler.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used garrett detectors way before they were on tv. They started by making DVDs and selling them on ebay. To make money to help pay for trips to detect. Another good show is dirt fishin america on YouTube. Dr tones and Dirt diggler.
Probably two years a go when show started I think it was MontanaGold their buddy said they were using explorers and ending trying atp and liking them better. If you think garrett has nothing to do with this watch some of the other reality show like the swamp people where the names of boat motors is blurred out. Same with logos on shirts and hats even drink cans.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MD manufacturers cannot afford to advertise on TV. Even a commercial late night or early morning costs about 10k for 30 seconds. As for helping promote the hobby the show has done a lot to promote it. Since the show aired the 1st time I have seen the membership of the forum boards increase a bunch. I never used the forums until I had a detector I felt was worth spending time with the hobby. So i officially join several forums in late 2012.

Overall I think the show has been a boon to the vendors and manufacturers

Zolt

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2014
Lakeland FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had tried detecting as a kid with a cheap detector, but watching the saws reminded me how much fun it was. I purchased a detector this weekend and kids and I have been out everyday. I already need to Change the batteries

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh for sure it's a success!
I'm in the antique community and the number of new faces showing up at auctions and sales is way up since Pickers and all those other shows came on.
Very few ever went to storage auctions but since Storage Wars, they are now packed full of buyers.
Heck, I bet even pawn shops have more customers thanks to Pawn Stars.
I know things are changing when a lazy pothead friend of mine now wants to start gold mining after watching a few of the different "Reality" shows.
I told him that you actually have to work when mining for gold! Lol.
Never watched any of them but people around me usually fill me in on the boob tube.
Sometimes I need to wear ear plugs from all the kids singing in the streets wanting to be the next American Idol.
:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread