What's new

Metal Detector Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Big1011Guy
  • Start date Start date
B

Big1011Guy

Guest
They Say That If You Don't Ask You Will Never Know, So Here Goes. This is something I Cannot Figure Out About My Metal Detector (Garrett Ace 250). When the detector makes a hit on an object and I use the Pinpoint Option to better determine where the object is, is the Highest Pitch Signal when scanning over the object indicating the object is in the center of the searchcoil or on the edge of the searchcoil. in Other words I am trying to narrow the area where I dig to a smaller size.
Thanks In Advance For Your Help, Guy McDonald :icon_scratch:
 
If using the stock coil the target should be centered where the notch is in the middle of the coil. Don't forget you have to X the target to center it.
 
Hopefully you know to let go of pin point and push it again to narrow down the target even more. The target should be under the little U shape on the coil directly in front of the pole. (as stated above). Use the X pattern to pin point. there is also a really good video on Youtube about pinpointing with ace250. Hopefully this helps. - UT
 
Thanks UTcoinshootR for the Info. I did not know about the release and re-press of the Pin Point button. I really want to narrow my search area before I search the (what used to be) Little League Baseball Park by my home.
Big1011Guy
 
Hey, Big Guy. Each coil may have a slight difference in it's center point. Find a clear spot in your yard and put a coin flat on the ground and use the pinpoint techniques on it and you'll find out right away exactly where the sweet spot is on your particular coil. Do this with every extra coil you may get for your machine. Mark the sweet spot on each coil with a permanent marker. On skeleton framed coils, make line marks on opposite sides of the center opening (like a rifle scope crosshairs). On one of my machines, I found the exact zero point was just slightly to one side of the physical center of the coil. It doesn't affect the machine's operation, but you'll want to know that info for your coil. A half inch off could mean the difference in popping out an unblemished $5 gold coin or a badly scarred one.
 
Thanks Shortstack For Your Info :notworthy:. Your info about placing a Quarter on the ground and scanning it to find my center point was Really A DUH Moment for Me. I can't believe I didn't think of that, because I have always tried to look at problems logically to fix them.
Thanks again, Big1011Guy
 
One more thing on testing the coils. After you find the pinpoint center, go back and put the coin at a sharp angle to the vertical and see how the pinpoint spot changes in one direction of the X-ing maneuver. Then, put the coin on its edge and see how you'll get a single beep from one direction and a double beep when swinging parallel to the coins edge. That double beep also happens when you're detecting along a long, narrow object such as a piece of water pipe, a piece of wire, or a rifle barrel.
Happy hunting.
 
Another Good Point I Didn't Consider. I didn't even think about the Coins Not Laying Flat would Create a Different Signal. Wow, I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. Thanks for Letting Me Pick your Brain. Practice, Practice, Practice.
Big1011Guy
 
I first learned of these things in the book, Detectorist, by Robert Sickler. Out in the field, those tips proved absolutely correct, so I can't claim discovery for myself. Just passing along those things. If you ever come across that book, it would make a good addition to your own reference library. The tips and techniques Sickler wrote about still hold true even though he published the book in 1993.
If you're interested in learning more about detector discrimination, the book Taking a Closer Look at Metal Detector Discrimination, by Robert Brockett, is a very in depth look at the subject. It was published by Whites Electronics. He shows how different targets can overlap on the meters and LED readouts.
 
Thanks shortstack for the Book titles. I am presently reading "The New SUCCESSFUL COIN HUNTING" Revised Edition by Charles Garrett.
"Knowledge Is Power"
Thanks, Big1011Guy
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom