garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Four Bronze Age artifacts discovered in Wales by a metal detectorist were declared treasure trove at a coroner’s inquest on Wednesday. A gold and silver ring and three fragments of copper ingots were found on farmland in Cwm Cadnant, on the North Wales island of Anglesey, by Philip Cooper in May and June of 2013. Although archaeologists believe the artifacts were buried together as a single hoard, over the centuries they’d been scattered by movements of the earth and farming activities so Cooper found them several meters apart.

LiveLeak-dot-com-971_1425238321-gold-and-silver-hair-ring-e1425210576172_1425238417.jpg.resized.jpg

Read more: LiveLeak.com - (Mar. 1, 2015) Metal Detectorist Finds Bronze-Age Gold Hair Ring In Anglesey

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I understand it is they keep it, but they have to pay the finder fair market value for the artifacts.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the same should be available here in the good ole USA
I find something interesting. Turn it in. They authenticate it. Have it appraised. If they want to keep it they pay you fair market value. What could go wrong with this program?
It would keep the Archie s off our back.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rings of this general type have been found in Bronze-Age contexts of circa 1000 BC, or possibly a little earlier. At this time they will have been used as hair ornaments, or for other personal adornment purposes. However, it is believed that during the Iron Age, prior to the introduction of coinage in the 2nd century BC, they may have served as currency.

SS

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short version... screw you we are going to keep it and there is nothing you can do about it.....

Please avail yourself of the actual laws in play before making ridiculous comments.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the same should be available here in the good ole USA
I find something interesting. Turn it in. They authenticate it. Have it appraised. If they want to keep it they pay you fair market value. What could go wrong with this program?
It would keep the Archie s off our back.

While we all would love to see this happen, there would have to be perfect accountability at every level of the process! Sadly, the Archie's don't want this and the history of finds that have disappeared proves it. All too often many finds are confiscated, placed in a State's Treasury or other secure locations and seemingly disappear and wind up in someone's Collection and/or are used to garner political favor from someone in politics.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread