What's new

Metal IDs when MDing?

CaptainPooka

Greenie
Joined
Feb 3, 2014
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought my AT pro, been out with it twice. I typically skip the lower numbers (like under 75 or 80) because it always seems to be junk. It was night at the time... I couldn't really see much in the first place. I figure if I'm out during the day I'll probably just dig up everything.

Anyway, I saw this banner dude dig up a piece of gold and it was a ~40. So my questions are... is there a chart somewhere with what ID a certain type of metal might give? And do all metal detectors give the same IDs?

Thanks
 
VDI -- Item
99 -- Ike Silver Dollar, Morgan Silver Dollar
98 -- Ike Silver Dollar
97 -- Ike Silver Dollar
96 -- Morgan Silver Dollar, Walking Liberty Silver Half Dollar, Franklin Silver Half Dollar, Large Silver Ring
95 -- 1 Troy Ounce .999 Silver Coin, 4 Quarters in a stack!
94 --
93 -- Peace Dollar, Kennedy 40% Silver Half Dollar, Franklin Half Dollar
92 -- Clad Dollar, Kennedy 40% Silver Half Dollar, Clad Half Dollar, Aluminum Token, Large Silver Ring
91 -- Barber Half Dollar
90 -- Presidential Dollar, Clad Half Dollar, Clad Quarter, Large US 1 Cent, Silver British Half Crown
89 -- Washington Silver Quarter, Clad Quarter
88 -- Standing Liberty Silver Quarter, Washington Silver Quarter, Clad Quarter, Medium Silver Ring
87 -- SBA Dollar, Russian 50 Kopek
86 -- SBA Dollar, Sacajawea Dollar, Spanish 2-Reale, Russian 50 Kopek, Canadian Half Penny
85 -- Barber Quarter, Clad Quarter, Seated Dime, Matron Head Large Cent
84 -- Seated Dime, Matron Head Large Cent, Small Silver Ring
83 -- Mercury Silver Dime, Roosevelt Silver Dime, Clad Dime
82 -- Clad Dime, Small Silver Charm, 1 Yen Coin (JPN), Large 9K Gold Ring
81 -- US $20 Gold Piece, Barber Dime, Clad Dime, Seated Dime, 10 Yen Coin (JPN), 1 Yen Coin (JPN), Vintage Silver Ring, Austrian 10 Grochen Coin
80 -- Barber Dime, Seated Dime, Copper Lincoln 1 Cent, King George Half Penny, 10 Yen Coin (JPN), 1000 Peso Coin (Mexico, 1988), Austrian 10 Grochen Coin, 5 Gram Gold Bar, Large Plated Ring, Small Silver Ring
79 -- Seated Dime, Heavy Woman's Bracelet Watch
78 -- King George Penny, Chuck-E-Cheese Token
77 -- US $10 Gold Piece, 1 Euro Coin (Ireland), New Zealand $2.00, Australian $1.00, British 1 Pound Coin, Chuck-E-Cheese Token
76 -- Seated Liberty Half Dime, Indian Head 1 Cent, Australian $2.00, New Zealand $1.00, King George Half Penny, 5 Yen Coin (JPN), Medium Plated Ring, Small Silver Ring, Large 14K Gold Ring
75 -- Bottle Cap, Spanish 1-Reale, Zinc Lincoln 1 Cent, 5 Yen Coin (JPN)
74 -- Bottle Cap, Rev War British Musket Ball, Copper Lincoln 1 Cent
73 -- Bottle Cap, Small Silver Ring
72 -- Bottle Cap, Small Silver Cross, 10 Cent Euro Coin
71 -- Bottle Cap, Large Tungsten Ring
70 -- Bottle Cap, Civil War Mini-Ball, Medium Charm
69 -- US $5 Gold Piece, Civil War Mini-Ball
68 -- 22K Gold Sovereign, Civil War Mini-Ball
67 --
66 -- Large Tungsten Ring, Pop Top, Small Charm
65 -- Large 18K Gold & Platinum Ring, 1 Gram Gold Bar
64 -- 3 nickels on top of each other!
63 -- Small Silver Earring
62 -- US $2.50 Gold Piece
61 -- Indian Head 1 Cent
60 -- Medium 9K Gold Ring
59 --
58 --
57 -- Large 14K Gold Ring
56 -- Large 14K Gold Ring
55 -- Mens Titanium Ring, Medium Gold Plated Sterling Silver Ring
54 -- Small 14K Gold Ring
53 -- Pull Tab, Buffalo Nickel, V Nickel, War Nickel, New Nickel, Small Charm, Large 14K White Gold Ring, Medium 14K Gold Ring
52 -- Pull Tab, Buffalo Nickel, V Nickel, War Nickel, New Nickel, Small Charm
51 -- 100 Yen Coin (JPN)
50 -- 3 Cent Piece, 14K Gold Chain, 100 Yen Coin (JPN), 50 Yen Coin (JPN), 2 Peso Gold Coin, Small 10K Gold Ring, Small 9K Gold Ring
49 -- 3 Cent Piece, 14K Gold Chain, 50 Yen Coin (JPN)
48 -- $1 Gold Coin (13mm), 14K Gold Chain, 14K Yellow & White Gold Ring
47 -- Large Junk Earring
46 --
45 -- Foil, Small 14K Gold Ring
44 -- Foil, Small Platinum Engagement Ring
43 -- Foil, Small 10K Gold Ring, 14K bracelet
42 -- Foil, Small 10K Gold Ring
41 -- Foil, Small 14K Gold Ring
40 -- Foil,14K Hollow Earring (1.3g), Property Marker Pin
39 -- Foil
38 -- Foil
37 -- Foil
36 -- Foil
35 -- Foil, Nail
34 --
33 --
32 --
31 --
30 --
29 --
28 --
27 --
26 --
25 --
24 --
23 --
22 --
21 --
20 --
19 --
18 --
17 --
16 --
15 -- Washer
14 --
13 --
12 --
11 --
10 --
9 --
8 --
7 --
6 --
5 --
4 --
3 --
2 --
1 --
 
wildman found it.

This was the guide i used when i started, to knda get an idea of what certain things might sound like. Of course its only a "guide"

I find myself digging Deep Pennys that read as quarters...Quarters that read as Dimes....Of course when anything is failry deep, you are gonna want to dig it.

I can tell you that Steel Screw tops will give you the illusion of a good signal...But Once I figured out the difference between a Screaming Signal ( Steel Screw top) and a nice soft "whistle" type sound (coin), it helped me ALOT from not digging Junk

Good Luck man...like everything....it takes time
 
Wait a second.. I have an AT pro. There are only three tones, but you're telling me that out of these three tones it goes further and has a crisp tone? (like a beep rather than a beeep kind of thing?) I'm not sure I understand :( And yes, I recognize the above is a guide to good things - I found MANY (actually everything I found at one site) bad things in all of these ranges. :( It's strange, those pull tab cans ranged anywhere from 50-80 (if I remember correctly). When I detected in my yard coins (penny, dime, quarters, 50cent pieces) come up high, but I found many quarters and they were never the same number, but around the same area.

Thanks again! I'm glad to see something good can be found in all ranges. Seems like under 40 there's a cliff, but I see people finding old guns and stuff. That would register under 40 right? Safe to say dig up everything :)

I've had some things give me a signal at 10" down. I figure this just means it's a big item? And it's high pitch, like 75-90 (different spots). I dig and dig, use my pin pointer, and my pin pointer won't even detect it. When I swipe my detector over that spot there is definitely something there... ??? It's cold outside right now so I just give those spots a rest and will come back later. What does this sound like to you? If you had to guess :) I don't want to waste my time digging up a big piece of trash tin or something! But hey, I'm going back to these first spots anyway. I'm already wondering what's down there!

And I can't help but wonder, are these things that you've found on this list?

Thanks!!
 
Hey Captain.....I can tell you right now...if you are getting Signals 10" deep and they are still there after you dig and dont get any indications from your pinpointer...then it could be something small and good

Usally large items will set off the pinpointer way before you get close to it.

Im assuming you are using PRO mode....and there is a distintive difference from a buried coin and a Steel Screw top.

Usally if im not sure and its real bouncy...I will turn the Iron Audio on for that Target and if its junk, it will sound like shiii

Its its a coin, then it will keep that nice crisp tone....Now Im not gonna say I dont get an "Iffy" tone and dig down to china to find a piece of barbwire, because it does happen.

But usally the places I detect, I have no problem diggin 10+ inches just to see what it is.

The numbers do vary on me sometimes. But I cant tell you how many times I have gotten a straight up 52-53..and was SURE it was a Nickle....it does read Nickles good.

Im not sure how long you have detected, but an easy way to see how big the object is that is goving you a signal is to simply raise your coil a few inches up...if you are still gettign it at 4 inches off the ground...its either something BIG underground, ot its right on top of the ground.

If you get a coin signal at 6+ inches and raise your coil, you wont hear anything, because the coin is smaller, and now your coil is a foot off the ground.

Anyway, hope some of that made sense..
 
Cool! I like all of your advice. It answered every question I have at the moment! I think a sand scoop would help me and I have another thread about it (there are so many!)

It's supposed to be warmer (60s) tomorrow afternoon, Sunday it'll be in the 70s. I'll go to my spots and look around :) I'm going to finish my stone firepit tomorrow afternoon then detect away out there! If you're ever in South Texas hit me up! I'm on the coast
 
Best bet is to dig any consistent signals and when in the PRO Mode, dig the deeper sounding ones. Occasionally I would switch over to the Standard Mode to clarify a soft signal.

If you dig all the 70 or higher tones, you can miss some gold and even some coins. I would always check the signals in two directions and dig if they are consistent and not bouncing around, or sounded clear.

I don't use an AT Pro anymore, but in my last hunt, my digging partner dug a gold baby ring and he said it was hitting at 46.
 
Good info here. No Captain, all detectors do not give the same ID on the display or by sound. They are different by manufacturer, and sometimes different by models from the same manufacturer. For instance my AT Pro display goes from 1-100, whereas my Safari goes from 1-40. Most experienced hunters rely more on sound than ID numbers to decide when to dig. Forget the standard mode on your ATP and learn the Pro mode, there is a large range of tones in Pro, and they are very informative.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom