Metal info i need.

eric91m

Oct 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looked around a little bit, prices might not be current (sept 28) the only market I'm seeing is China. Seeing roughly 61.50 a kg, or 1.91 per troy ounce.

Even if you could get it, I wouldn't have a clue how to get rid of it.

As far as is it dangerous, I wouldn't touch it this is a little of what I found:

"It reacts with water decomposing it to release hydrogen gas, and it reacts with mineral acids. Shavings or turnings of the metal can ignite in air when they exceed 400 °C. When yttrium is finely divided it is very unstable in air."...

"Yttrium is mostly dangerous in the working environment, due to the fact that damps and gasses can be inhaled with air. This can cause lung embolisms, especially during long-term exposure. Yttrium can also cause cancer with humans, as it enlarges the chances of lung cancer when it is inhaled. Finally, it can be a threat to the liver when it accumulates in the human body."

Read more: (http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/y.htm#ixzz2jjaj5kfb)

Last edited:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow freeman, you stumped me ,never even heard of it .

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow freeman, you stumped me ,never even heard of it .

Me either loco. I probably got 10 five gallons buckets of quartz rocks with that stuff on it and it looks like silver so I didn't know it was bad so ill start running. LOL. Hey loco its a rare earth mineral.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my Assay report back today and they said I had Yttrium in my rocks. Is this stuff worth anything, is it bad stuff and should I run like a turkey? Thanks all.
Is that anything like a mechanic recommending he change your blinker fluid?

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wouldn't want my doctor saying that to me....
"You have Yttrium in your rocks."

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Hog that is a good one. I have read about Yttrium and cant understand all I read about it. Do you know or think this stuff is dangerous to me until I can get rid of it. Says its stable in air. Thanks in advance. Your opinion is valuable to me.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me either loco. I probably got 10 five gallons buckets of quartz rocks with that stuff on it and it looks like silver so I didn't know it was bad so ill start running. LOL. Hey loco its a rare earth mineral.
You have 10 buckets of quartz and it has some of that stuff on it.

That's different than warnings about working with the material where people have barrels of it.

Magnesium has some of the same warnings. Open a barrel of powered magnesium and it's temperature begins to rise as it reacts with the moisture in the air. Would I be worried about it being in an ore sample? No.

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have 10 buckets of quartz and it has some of that stuff on it.

That's different than warnings about working with the material where people have barrels of it.

Magnesium has some of the same warnings. Open a barrel of powered magnesium and it's temperature begins to rise as it reacts with the moisture in the air. Would I be worried about it being in an ore sample? No.

Thanks jcazgoldchaser for the info.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Most of the 'rare' earth metals like this are actually quite abundant ( For example Cerium is the 25th most abundant element in the earths crust). The problem with them isn't recovery, its the specialized and costly refining needed to extract the metals to a useable state. Because of a lack of environmental laws (or no enforcement of said laws) overseas most refining of rare earths takes place in places like China and Russia. If you tried to do the same over here, you really couldnt (unless you had a ton of money to throw into permits and studies etc) as the process is very dangerous, requiring costly (and dangerous) acids and other chemicals and also releasing radiation as a byproduct.

Rare earth element - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions