✅ SOLVED Metal item with 3 set screws

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This came out of the ground at an old logging site. At first I thought it might be a saw set, but it would be difficult to use for that purpose. It is 12" long. IMG_4328.JPG IMG_4331.JPG
Evidently it had a wooden handle on it at one time. There is a copper ferrule that would have held the handle on.
Good grief,I wasn't thinking. It should be thumb screws.

Last edited:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have never seen a setter like that but. not saying it aint . its kinda a eye catcher to me and very interesting.would like to know myself what it is. i just cant put my finger on it.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it may have been used to reset the angle on the large saw teeth.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, is an old saw tooth setter. Working from RIGHT to LEFT, the far RIGHT thumb screw was used to adjust for the depth (or the amount) of the tooth that the setter engaged. The CENTER thumb screw was used for adjusting to the thickness of the saw teeth. And the LEFT thumb screw was to adjust how far the teeth were to be set (at what angle). This would have been used on large diameter circular sawmill blades.

Upvote 0

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Yep, is an old saw tooth setter. Working from RIGHT to LEFT, the far RIGHT thumb screw was used to adjust for the depth (or the amount) of the tooth that the setter engaged. The CENTER thumb screw was used for adjusting to the thickness of the saw teeth. And the LEFT thumb screw was to adjust how far the teeth were to be set (at what angle). This would have been used on large diameter circular sawmill blades.

Yes. Look at picture # 10.
The Saw Set Collector's Resouce - Wrest And Lever Type Saw Set

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pa plateau hiker

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks kcm. I was thinking of a saw set for a cross cut saw. I have never seen one for a circular saw blade. There was a saw mill about a mile away, probably where this came from. Thanks to CaptEsteban for the link.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread