Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know i never thought about the Sovereign as being a good detector for meteorites. My self i would not use the Sovereign or Excalibur for meteorites . Just me i don't think they would be good not even in all metal.........

Keppy said:
You know i never thought about the Sovereign as being a good detector for meteorites. My self i would not use the Sovereign or Excalibur for meteorites . Just me i don't think they would be good not even in all metal.........

It seems to me that it would null, but I don't know....

The Sov will only null if you have Iron Mask turned on while in Disc mode. It has a switdh for on/off. Even with Disc you can hunt with zero disc. With 17 frequencies it can be excellent on meteorites if in all metal. You see them using Fisher's because they are lighter. They should try Tesoro's as they are lighter yet.

If i was going after meteorites i would get a used ficher CZ .. or fisher 1270... or even a Tesoro. I have been useing Sovereigns sinse 1992 but for meteorites it acts to funny for iron to me to use it that way. Like i said even in all metal i don't know you know that some of those sovereigns are in iron mask all the time you can't take them out of it. The only 2 that you can take out of iron mask is the ..first one made and the GT...........and the Excalibur is in iron mask all the time. I would not trust my GT in all metal to hunt meteorites.

Keppy said:
If i was going after meteorites i would get a used ficher CZ .. or fisher 1270... or even a Tesoro. I have been useing Sovereigns sinse 1992 but for meteorites it acts to funny for iron to me to use it that way. Like i said even in all metal i don't know you know that some of those sovereigns are in iron mask all the time you can't take them out of it. The only 2 that you can take out of iron mask is the ..first one made and the GT...........and the Excalibur is in iron mask all the time. I would not trust my GT in all metal to hunt meteorites.

Thanks for the good comments. I know my GT, with iron mask off, nulls over iron. I rarely use all-metal except to check the exact location of an object, but even then, rarely.

Gilligan said:
Keppy said:

Thanks for the good comments. I know my GT, with iron mask off, nulls over iron. I rarely use all-metal except to check the exact location of an object, but even then, rarely.
Heres a link that might help they say a lot about using a MD to finds space rocks DD60
http://www.mr-meteorite.net/meteoritefieldid1.htm

Visual meteorite I.D. in the field is the key. This is because even the best metal detectors in the world will only tell you if the rock in question has enough mineralization to set it off. There is no such thing as a meteorite detector. To make matters worse there is a large percentage of worthless earth rocks that will make a metal detector sound off. This type of rock is known as a “hot rock”. Therefore one can see how using only a metal detector to find a meteorite among a sea of hot rocks can be an impossible task.

Personally I would have no qualms about using my Sovereign GT to hunt for meteorites, just hunt in all metal, there is no discrimination or notch in that mode. In all metal I get the same signal for a tiny braid nail, or iron wire as I do for my gold wedding band, it sees them all the same, I get no nulling on the iron targets.

Now if I lived in Arizona I would own a good gold detector and be looking for gold and take meteorites as an added bonus...... ;D

From the Sovereign GT manual....

"In All Metal mode

In All Metal mode the Sovereign GT will detect both ferrous and non-ferrous objects. In this mode the Disc and Notch controls will have no effect and the Sovereign GT will respond in the same way to all types of metal. All Metal mode should be used in conjunction with Fixed & Tracking ground balance, especially when searching for gold nuggets or other targets in mineralised soils. It is also the required setting when searching for ferrous targets such as relics."

Treasure_Hunter said:
Personally I would have no qualms about using my Sovereign GT to hunt for meteorites, just hunt in all metal, there is no discrimination or notch in that mode. In all metal I get the same signal for a tiny braid nail, or iron wire as I do for my gold wedding band, it sees them all the same, I get no nulling on the iron targets.

Now if I lived in Arizona I would own a good gold detector and be looking for gold and take meteorites as an added bonus...... ;D

From the Sovereign GT manual....

"In All Metal mode

In All Metal mode the Sovereign GT will detect both ferrous and non-ferrous objects. In this mode the Disc and Notch controls will have no effect and the Sovereign GT will respond in the same way to all types of metal. All Metal mode should be used in conjunction with Fixed & Tracking ground balance, especially when searching for gold nuggets or other targets in mineralised soils. It is also the required setting when searching for ferrous targets such as relics."

Thanks fopr the great advice! I think I definitely agree with you. the all-metal mode would do the trick.

A friend of mine just uses a rare earth magnet on the end of a timber broom stick handle. Nearly all meteores are made up of iron or iron content. He has found plenty using this method. Cheaper than a detector and no batteries to worry about. He goes in desert areas and does well. :thumbsup: neilo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back