meteorite,Rolling,down, the, mountain

Landfar

Greenie
Apr 2, 2011
meteorite,Rolling,down, the, mountain

I was on an expedition in Ecuador looking for Gold and while we were climbing this mountain range . we came to a small draw and the man Guilding me told me a story of a glowing Rock rolling down the hill and crashing into the draw we were standing above. Now the natives all thought is must have been a meteorite . But there seems to be holes in the story would some of you that know more than me about Meteorites help me out .
Now I did not go into that draw at the time because I had been walking behind a horse for 5 hours and had another 3 hours to go so was figureing on saving my energy till we were coming back on the down hill run.
But we changed plans after 3 days and took another way out.
So I have been left wondering if its worth going back up there to look for that supposed meteroite.
MY problem he said it glowed but set nothing on fire also I understand they are cooled buy the time they hit the earth. So if they are is it possiable it was just shiney and not glowing and do meteroites come shiney.
It was said to be about the size of a bowling ball and I'm certain I could find it if it is a meteorite with my whites TDI pro and some large magnets. the spot it stoped was only a small area to look at. Was just so tried
at the time I put it off for the trip back.
You meterorite Hunters, would you go back does it sound right.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: meteorite,Rolling,down, the, mountain

Most meteorites will have a black fusion crust that will certainly appear shiny...although I personally have never seen one falling down a mountain I can imagine the "shiny" comments coming from reflection off of that crust. I have seen them and it is certainly reflective enough to appear shiny. :read2:

OP
OP
L

Landfar

Greenie
Apr 2, 2011
Re: meteorite,Rolling,down, the, mountain

OK thanks
Glad to hear it I will go back and check it out will post what I find IF anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread