What's new

Meteorite. ???

flopper

Full Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2013
Messages
128
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Richland, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites classic III
Found in the gravel's of Yakima river bottom. As you can see it is highly magnetic and does have high heat markings on the end. It is 5 1/4" long and 8" in circumference at the widest part. Probably has been rolling in the river for who knows how many years. Any thoughts ??
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130206_182533.webp
    ForumRunner_20130206_182533.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 180
  • ForumRunner_20130206_182559.webp
    ForumRunner_20130206_182559.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 174
  • ForumRunner_20130206_182621.webp
    ForumRunner_20130206_182621.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
It sure looks like one. I never considered one as 'river rock' before. That would account for the smooth shape. The inclusions remind me of ones I have seen in slices. Not all magnetic rocks are meteorites, but it is a good indication. Excellent find. What made you decide to pick it up?
 
Was down by the river with my grandkids detector and pan just miling around. We have a ton of rocks, you know how kids are..
 
Not sure what the rock type is, but I'm certain it's not a meteorite.
 
I think it could be. Only way to tell is have a pro authenticate it. How much does it weigh?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom