Meteorite?

Ridethepork

Dec 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a meteorite it's really heavy look like metal and with a strong 🧲 hanging from a string this thing barely pulls the magnet with it

IMG_20191228_042342.jpg IMG_20191228_042324.jpg

IMG_20191228_042235.jpg IMG_20191228_042216.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what it is, but a meteorite with a metallic appearance would have more than a barely noticeable attraction to a strong magnet. Metallic material in meteorites is always a mixture of iron and nickel which results in strong attraction. Only low-metal chondrites, carbonaceous chondrites and achondrites have little or no attraction to a magnet, but they don't look like the rock you're showing. There are some terrestrial minerals and many rocks that can have a metal-like appearance plus numerous man-made possibilities that could contain non-ferromagnetic metals.

Upvote 1

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I see similar looking rocks in my driveway. Crushed basalt from a local quarry. Much is attracted to a magnet to some degree. Some is not.

Some pieces are metallic in appearance.

None are meteorites.

I do not believe yours is, either.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 1

Picacho Peak

Jul 30, 2019
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could the rocks you found be of volcanic origin? I live in southern New Mexico and hunt a lot of the old stage routes. Some of old trails pass through a lot of the lava flow areas where we have found the same type of rock. Some are really heavy and dark in color with the black and sometimes have tan areas. You can tell these rocks have really been extremely hot. We have hunted areas far away from the old craters and lava flows, finding these rocks from where the volcanos erupted and expelled fragments across the desert floor. Even over in the valley where there is a lot of farm land and development you will now and then find these rocks.

Upvote 1

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Following this thread as I have found one that looks exactly like this and like yours is dense and heavy as if it has some metal compound. Mine however has no attraction to a magnet which apparently has to be a factor for it to be considered a meteorite. Dug mine in a wooded field in South Carolina.

I believe there are places you can send it to in order for it to be evaluated.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following this thread as I have found one that looks exactly like this and like yours is dense and heavy as if it has some metal compound. Mine however has no attraction to a magnet which apparently has to be a factor for it to be considered a meteorite. Dug mine in a wooded field in South Carolina.

I believe there are places you can send it to in order for it to be evaluated.

The original item posted is NOT a meteorite. It's also incorrect to say that all meteorites are attracted to a magnet. It depends on the type classification. What would be correct is that you can use other features to determine what class a suspected meteorite could be and consider whether the ferro-magnetic properties of the rock are consistent with that as part of the diagnosis. The vast majority of suspected meteorites are terrestrial rocks or man-made waste products. With some decent pictures (especially if the interior can be shown) plus an objective description of what properties an item has, it's very easy to rule of the no-hoper 'meteorwrongs'.

Once you have done that initial screening, if you’re satisfied that it won’t be a waste of money, then you can proceed to professional testing. I would use “New England Meteoritical Services” in Massachusetts (linked below). They need a specimen about the size of a marble (10-20 grams) and charge $25 for a 10-14 day service. The specimen is also returned to you, but if you send a larger specimen there will be additional postage costs. For that price you can submit up to three specimens, so if you have other possible candidates it would make sense to send them together.

Meteorite Identification and Testing

Be sure to read the information at the links “Frequently Asked Questions” and “Sending a Sample for Testing”.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always good to ask people always are skepticle from meteorites known to us it doesnt appear to be one but you never know lol.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread