What's new

Meteorite??

skrymer75

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2015
Messages
20
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
long island
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello, could it be a meteorite ?? stone is not magnetic, similar in weight to stones of this size, found in NY state.
 

Attachments

  • 646096696.webp
    646096696.webp
    302.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 646096666.webp
    646096666.webp
    244.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 646096648.webp
    646096648.webp
    163.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 646096632.webp
    646096632.webp
    148 KB · Views: 106
I will just add that there were no other stones around
 
One more question, if it's a meteorite and I cut it in half to see what's inside, will it lose its value?
 
I see that I asked a difficult question ;-)
 
Since a magnet didnt stick to it then give it the scratch test.
Take the lid of your toilet and scratch the underside of the lid, if it leaves a mark its most likeley not a Metorite. If it does move on to the next test.
 
I did this test and it doesn't leave any marks, when I watch it through a magnifying glass it looks like it is burnt / melted .... How else can I check it ??
 
In a few pics it almost looks vitrified (glassy) on one side.

How heavy is it? Also If you wrap it tightly in cling film you can use a measuring jug filled with water to estimate its volume, then calculate the density.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom