Meters for the Sov GT

ToniSteve

May 23, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks, Sovereign GT, Excaliber 1000, XL Pro, IDX Pro with Mods, M-6, Minelab MusketeerAdvantage,
Hello,
I am thinking about purchasing a Sov GT. Is the GT as good as older models? I also want to get a meter to go with it for starters. Is there a better brand or type of meter then others? Also what is the favored way of mounting? Hip? Balanced straight shaft, or? Another question, what coil is best to start with? I was thinking the 8" tornado.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards,
Steve

Upvote 0

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
dopeydigger said:
Hello,
I am thinking about purchasing a Sov GT. Is the GT as good as older models? I also want to get a meter to go with it for starters. Is there a better brand or type of meter then others? Also what is the favored way of mounting? Hip? Balanced straight shaft, or? Another question, what coil is best to start with? I was thinking the 8" tornado.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards,
Steve

In my opinion the GT is the best they made, it is great detector, if your using it on the beach I would highly recommend the 15" WOT on land the 8" or 10" is good.

I see no need for the meter, I have one and took it off, but I am at the beach and I did almost every target anyway.

Be sure to use the hip mount bag, you can go for ever if you do.

Good luck.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my two cents worth but I am speaking from about 23 years of experience and as a Sovereign user who owns a meter.

The very successful hunters in the early days of my metal detecting career, could discern a target on a machine that had only one tone and no variable tones. Don't ask me how, but I could tell demoninations of coins very accurately by listening to the subtle differences the machine would display in the tone on varied coins. Some of the older guys on here, I am 56, can probably back me up on this. I had a run of the mill Bounty Hunter Red Baron, that was when Bounty Hunter made a pretty competitive machine but it was good enough to tell the differences in that single tone, there was only the same old tone for everything, once I listened to it enough and learned that certain coins would have some small varience in the same tone. For example, a silver dime may cause the tone to last just a millisecond less than a silver quarter. If you were there and heard it for the first time, you would never pick it up but after weeks and months of practice, you would be able to tell the diffence. A copper penny may have had a little almost inaudible squeal at the end of the tone as the coil passed of the target. Again, something you could hardly hear but once you practiced, you could pick it up. This is one of the reasons that the enhanced earphones were and still are all the rage and why you see all of the serious folks using high grade earphones and not the off the shelf earbuds that cost 4 bucks.

Now to talk about the problem with this with the Sovereign. The variable tone mode, gives you so many tones to try to learn for so many different targets, it is near impossible to learn them all. For example, a 10k wedding band will give a distinctly different tone than a 10k Class ring. Same metal, different tone due to the size. This is the same as a Whites machine with an ID meter. A true silver dime gives a different meter reading than a true silver quarter. The difference is the size. If the Whites machine had variable tone, and I think they may have now, the tones for the two coins would be different also even though they are both made of silver. The Infinium tones the same for the gold no matter what the size is and does the same for the silver. The only exception I have found yet is that some really light silver, like a toe ring, that is really tiny will fool the Infinium into thinking it is gold. Same with a small silver bracelet or chain. If you look back at my finds posted on here, you will see that most of my silver finds are all small items or chains. The larger ones I dug on the dry sand with the Minelab Sovereign Elite.

The folks that find the best stuff are the ones who dig it all. Even as a seasoned hunter, I am guilty of passing up iffy signals and I know I have probably passed up some good things as a result. It is all about how much time I have an where I want to concentrate my efforts. If I have all day, I may spend more time digging iffy stuff but if I have two hours, I am going to dig the strong most probable gold signals. Save the iron reject function on some good machines and that is about it. Look at the success folks using the Excalibure have. Why do you think Minelab has never tried to put a meter on the Excal. If you hear a tone that is in the good range, (smooth and mellow), no matter what the ID meter is saying, dig it. If you start relying on a meter to make the dig decision for you, you will miss out on a lot of good targets. What happens is that you get conditioned to things that register junk. You dig junk after junk after junk and the meter is telling you that the number represents junk. Guess what, that 20th junk signal, (Pull Tab), is probably a gold ring. Maybe two in a row, maybe three. But because you previously dug 20 pull tabs in a row, you start ignoring the pull tabs which could be gold. I know the Sovereign has ques to let you know its a pull tab but guess what, those are audible and not digital meter ques. Goes back to the old listen to your machine deal.

I will close with this. Don't get lazy. If you use a meter, in my opinion it is just a crutch. My meter came with the Sovereign that I bought used. It was in the deal. I used it twice and then bagged it.

Hope this old timer's words of wisdom helps some. Just my experience talking.

OP
OP
ToniSteve

ToniSteve

May 23, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks, Sovereign GT, Excaliber 1000, XL Pro, IDX Pro with Mods, M-6, Minelab MusketeerAdvantage,
Thanks for the replies!

Best Regards,
Steve

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
I totally agree, the notch meter can blank out a nice white gold or chain..
I often think of the stuff Ive passed up......but it really has been due to lack of time or inclement weather.
The Sov GT is a wonderful machine and after a year or so Im really starting to understand the way it is talking to me...without a meter.
A little bit like a rat in a maze i guess.....you get rewarded for the right signal or sound.....grins
Cheers

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 2 Sovereign GTs, they are fantastic machines. all I have read says they are the best of the series, I can't speak from experience as I have only owned the GT's.

If your hunting beaches skip the meter, you don't really need or want it on the beach. Remember there is a lot of salt spray if you dont cover the meter you will eventually ruin it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What DaChief says is true. I am lots older than him and I remember being able to tell the coins just by the sound they made. Now days I am not so sure the detectors can give that fine differences in tones or my ears are on the fritz. I have a Minelab meter for my Sov GT and don't use it anymore. I hip mount my controls and sometimes I have the Sunray inline probe hip mounted an other times it is on the shaft. I think I prefer everything hipmounted to save weight on the arm. One thing they don't tell you when ordering the meter is depending on how you want to mount it you will also need to order the two longer extention cables for it.

Using the meter is OK, but not as important as a windshield on a car. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions