Michigan Soil

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coinstriking Michigan said:
I've never been able to determine, or know how to determine what type of soil an area has. I was always curious if Northern Michigan had good detecting soil or not. I figure it might not due to all the float copper we have up here. Anyone know anything of Michigan soil in regards to metal detecting?
Having copper in the ground might make it hard to detect, I think you can't set your machine to reject copper do to the loss of old coins. I would talk to the company that sells your detector and ask them what to do if you are having a problem with your detector in your area. I hope this helps.

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive have wonder thatmyself. down here by detroit area, i have had no issues yet. but sometimes i do dig a lghtweight blackish rock and ill dig and than find out its a weird metal ic rock. i figure up there have a better chance with gold. michigan is secound with wettest area and alaska is #1 so in u.p. i figure more gold finds

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Woodland Detectors said:
I do know from living up there, that is relatively neutral. Are you speaking of the UP? Or N. Mi?

The U.P...Gladstone.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin striker,

your in iron county,slate,sandstone.up in the u.p my mxt ground reading is mid to low 80....in the Huron mountain.

I seen the ground go from mid 80 go right in to the 20,and back up that's why I don't lock my tracking on the mxt,it will never swing that much in track mode. A small piece of copper will read penny dime,a piece that weighs over a pound will show up 50 cents a buck..

liftloop

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
liftloop said:
coin striker,

your in iron county,slate,sandstone.up in the u.p my mxt ground reading is mid to low 80....in the Huron mountain.

I seen the ground go from mid 80 go right in to the 20,and back up that's why I don't lock my tracking on the mxt,it will never swing that much in track mode. A small piece of copper will read penny dime,a piece that weighs over a pound will show up 50 cents a buck..

liftloop

When I ground balance the F70 I am normally around 80-84. I find small pieces of copper all the time, I wonder if maybe the small pieces of copper in the soil here make it hard to get great depth in this area. The deepest I have ever even heard of a coin around here is about 7-8 inches....with and average of about 4inches on older coins.

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
I have had similar issues with coal slag in Indiana. I have to keep adjusting my ground balance. They used a lot of that stuff for gravel back in the days. I went to one old 1800's playground, and thought my T2 was going to catch on fire. ;D All that I can say is to take it slow, or find a different area. I had to go to a different area after dealing with that area. My Detector was going crazy even with GB. Good luck friend!

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
If you are talking about the above post about my Teknetics, then yes. Coal slag is the iron and mineral leftover from the burning of coal. It is like dumping a million BB's on the ground where it is heavily concentrated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread