What's new

Michigan Unintentional Relic Find

Mitchgoblue

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Well, I wasn't trying to find anything today but turns out I did. As I was working on my garden I came upon two really old metal things. One of the things I could identify as a horseshoe and the other I think are some Blacksmith's tongs. I was hoping someone could give me some clarification as of what everything is and how old it might or might not be. Thank You. Location Found: Harbor Springs, Michigan.

"Tongs"
Photo on 2010-05-31 at 09.42 #2.webp
Reverse side "Tongs"
Photo on 2010-05-31 at 09.42.webp
Horseshoe
Photo on 2010-05-31 at 09.37.webp
Misc Photos
Photo on 2010-05-31 at 10.05 #3.webp
More Photos
Photo on 2010-05-31 at 10.05 #2.webp
anotherone
Photo on 2010-05-31 at 10.05.webp
 
Quick turn the horseshoe up the other way, your spilling out all the Luck. :wink:

Welcome to Tnet :icon_thumright:

No idea on age, but they don't look very old.
 
Upvote 0
Well you got the ID already. :icon_thumright:

These things were used in the Midwest up to the 1950's in rural farm areas. The shoe is not really early, so let's say 1880-1950?

What are you planting? :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it's older than 1880's guys. I know one thing for a fact, there was never a farm in the area of where I live (in the middle of the woods). Harbor springs was founded by the Jesuits in like the 1850's. Also, we live really close to the settlement of Friendship Township in 1876. Does anyone know history of the area that I don't know?.... we are planting vegetables, fruits, flowers, and such. Like strawberries, mint, cucumbers, and stuff like that.
 
Upvote 0
Mitchgoblue said:
I'm pretty sure it's older than 1880's guys. I know one thing for a fact, there was never a farm in the area of where I live (in the middle of the woods). Harbor springs was founded by the Jesuits in like the 1850's. Also, we live really close to the settlement of Friendship Township in 1876. Does anyone know history of the area that I don't know?.... we are planting vegetables, fruits, flowers, and such. Like strawberries, mint, cucumbers, and stuff like that.
First mistake, don't always try & put your finds into the known history of any given area. Otherwise the Romans drunk Budweiser in my area. Best find out, like your doing now, what they are/age. Then theorise as much as you like based on the evidence.
 
Upvote 0
1870's... That works for me.

They went in for the white pine first usually. Later for the hardwoods. A lot of maple flooring around here has MICHIGAN stamps on the back, in purple ink. The flooring sometimes has dates, 1920's to about 1940.
 
Upvote 0
What would you guys guess those "tongs" are? are they really blacksmiths tongs or something to do with logging?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Definitely blacksmith tongs. I have quite a few.

Horses are making a comeback in logging, in small operations and steep areas.

Both these pics are of logging.
 

Attachments

  • pf023411.webp
    pf023411.webp
    80 KB · Views: 383
  • pf019223.webp
    pf019223.webp
    55.7 KB · Views: 388
Upvote 0
According to my copy of the Sear,Roebuck Catalogue of 1923
You have a set of blacksmith straight up tongs . Can be found
on page 873 and sold for .50 cents. My scanner isnt working or i
would show a pic. Jimbob
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
jimbob450 said:
According to my copy of the Sear,Roebuck Catalogue of 1923
You have a set of blacksmith straight up tongs . Can be found
on page 873 and sold for .50 cents. My scanner isnt working or i
would show a pic. Jimbob

these tongs are definately homemade. you can tell by the various mistakes the farrier made himself on the tongs.
 
Upvote 0
LOL! :laughing9:

1492-1992. These didn't change much. The Romans had similar tongs, just not in Michigan. You need to find some more stuff. More data = better dating. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Mitchgoblue said:
AU Seeker said:
I would say yes they are Blacksmith's tongs, most likely from a farrier working on the draft horses and or mules use to pull logs, hence the size of the large shoe you found, age could be any where from the 50s and earlier.

http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/Tem...e=&PHPSESSID=bdc1db9cc72df7e51899009ca0a5a16c

http://www.blacksmithsupply.com/catalog.aspx?StoreName=blacksmith_supply&DeptID=202755


you talking 1850's or 1950's?

I was talking 1950s and earlier as horses and mules were still used in logging, but that would include the 1850s and earlier as well.

Skip
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom