Michigan-Where to look?

Brendap98

Oct 8, 2015
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Everyone.

I'm from Michigan and also a beginner at rock hounding and I was wondering if anyone could share some nice spots to find nice rocks like agate, petoskey, and any other great finds. I tried whitefish point for agates and I been to the leelanau peninsula where I found some petoskey stones and some Leland Bluestone. Also If anyone knows some good tumbling suppliers in the area I would appreciate it! Also I would love to see pictures of your finds! I will post some once they are done polishing!

Not sure but I was in Michigan a couple weeks ago and a little girl from where we were staying gave me a rock. At first I thought it was a cookie. It was a lightning stone. It was beautiful. When I handed it back she said "No, it's for you" I'll post a pic soon. It was found in Lake Michigan about 1/2 mile away.

I've read that Northern part has a lot of stuff. I'd be interested in the copper region.

Upvote 0
I have never collected in Michigan. However, hvacker just jogged my memory about one thing. There is an old mine (Wolverine Mine) in Houghton county where it is said that you can find copper replacement agates. People will search the tillings with a metal detector to find potential specimens and then cut them open to potentially reveal an awesome pattern. That might be a little more involved than what you are looking for right now but I thought I would mention it. I have never been there myself and you would want to verify if it is still okay to collect there.

Wolverine Mine, Wolverine, Houghton Co., Michigan, USA

Good luck. I look forward to seeing your finds.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone.

I'm from Michigan and also a beginner at rock hounding and I was wondering if anyone could share some nice spots to find nice rocks like agate, petoskey, and any other great finds. I tried whitefish point for agates and I been to the leelanau peninsula where I found some petoskey stones and some Leland Bluestone. Also If anyone knows some good tumbling suppliers in the area I would appreciate it! Also I would love to see pictures of your finds! I will post some once they are done polishing!

Hi. I'm new too lol I came here to post exactly what you wrote!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back