Microfossils

Sep 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name is Kathy, and I just joined this site. Applegate Valley is my user name, but I prefer Kathy!

I have a big favor to ask of you intelligent and kind people. I recently put up a Webside/Blog (Orsten Type Fossils ~Written in Stone~ | Photographs of Microfossils that that could be of Pre Cambrian origin.) that has pictures of Microfossils on it. These are photos of subjects that have NOT previously been recorded for the area I live in, which is Southern Oregon.

Through research I have ID’ed some of the fossils, but not many. Many are common to most areas that were once covered by seas, some not so common. All fossils I find on my 5-1/2 acre property are Marine in nature, and this area was once covered by a warm and shallow sea and coral reef. No one in this region has ever even seen Microfossils before.

Any questions you might have should be covered on the FAQ’s page. Information about how I found these fossils is on the About Kathy page. I know you will enjoy looking at the photographs; I am surprised daily about what I am finding and the beauty of it all. The pictures shown represent over 50 rocks so far; only have about 1000 to go!

If you recognize anything, I would appreciate knowing about it. I am thinking about paying for positive identifications. I just can’t do it on my own; researching is so time consuming and I have manure to shovel. YIKES!

Thanks everyone…Kathy
Orsten Type Fossils ~Written in Stone~ | Photographs of Microfossils that that could be of Pre Cambrian origin.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - Noticed this was your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - If you haven't already - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome... this might sound lazy of me..probably because it is..but could you pick a few you would like ID'd and post them here?
I went to your page and don't know where to begin.

OP
OP
A
Sep 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome... this might sound lazy of me..probably because it is..but could you pick a few you would like ID'd and post them here?
I went to your page and don't know where to begin.

Thanks VPNavy and GatorBoy. You aren't being lazy GatorBoy; I never know where to begin either. I have found so many Microfossils and I have so many rocks that I am always right on the edge of losing total control of the situation. Plus, when I don't take a picture to record something new that I see, later on I always see another one in a different rock. And these are things with structure and form and movement; they aren't things that I am mistaking for fossils. The "Worm-Like" things I think are all Pre-Cambrian only because they appear absolutely nowhere else in the fossil record. It was only by process of elimination that I was able to ID them.

I will upload a few pictures that do not appear on my blog yet. I saw the "Black Lace" worm-like thing on Google once but did not record the name. The "Half Flora Half Fauna" monster is on my blog under the "Green" Gallery as a close up. This thing freaks me out. Look closely at it. It seems to have both plant and animal parts. You have to look at both pictures. I'll put both on here but I don't think this site shows the full-size version. That's necessary when looking at my pictures.

The last picture, "Strange Being" is of something I think I captured in another picture I have on my blog and I can't find it. LOL. Now that is bad but shows how overwhelming this entire thing is. I am going to upload these pictures today to the "New Photos" page on my site.

Good luck and I hope you have better luck than I do...Kathy

Orsten Type Fossils ~Written in Stone~ | Photographs of Microfossils that that could be of Pre Cambrian origin.

Half Flora Half Fauna.jpg

4X Half Flora Half Fauna.jpg

Black Lace.jpg

Strange Being.jpg

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if Applegate is your real last name, you can't be all bad. Especially if you have red hair!

OP
OP
A
Sep 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if Applegate is your real last name, you can't be all bad. Especially if you have red hair!

A wise guy, huh? No, Applegate isn't my last name Alan, although there are a lot of people with that name around here. Applegate Valley is a valley that has a lot of vineyards and pretty scenery that runs between Medford and Grants Pass, Oregon. The Applegate River runs through it. It's a low population area and there is not much around here that anyone would have heard of...K.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread