What's new

military button ID needed - SOLVED

julesjunk

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
295
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Since the ground is concrete here, as I'm sure for many of you, thought I'd get caught up on my recent finds, whatsit's, etc.

Dug these items in a field in southeastern kansas. Other items found have ranged in age from the 1840's to the early 1900's. The large lead appears to be a three ringer, that tangled with a plow.

Button is a one piece and slightly larger than 9/16" (sorry, no MM. Misplaced my metric measurer). I can make out just a few of the benchmark letters. Afraid to clean on it anymore. Feel like I've already lost some of them. All the letters I can see are capitols.
There's a CO then what appears to be the right leg of an A then a couple more vertical straight line letters. At the far edge, there is a TH with something possibly before them, and then a couple more vertical straight line letters, then possibly a couple curved line letters. Sorry, this is the best I can do.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Regards,
Jules
 

Attachments

  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    91.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    110.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    107.4 KB · Views: 233
Re: military button ID needed

The button appears to be actually of two-piece construction. I believe you have an Ordinance button, cuff size, circa 1840-1850 or so. The crossed cannons and flaming bomb symbol, is indicative of the Ordinance Department. The pewter 4-hole buttons you have, are also good indicators of time period, as these are consistent with 1840's through 1850's U.S. military sites.

CC Hunter
 
Upvote 0
Re: military button ID needed

CC Hunter said:
The button appears to be actually of two-piece construction.

CC Hunter

I agree with you. I assumed it was one piece since it's so concaved on the back. But looking at my own pic suggests it's two. Thanks for chiming in!
 
Upvote 0
Re: military button ID needed

you all got it. It's a civil war period ordanance button. it is upside down in the pic. If you look at the top right you can see the U of the US that is on the bottom of the cannon barrels. The button is OC3 in Alberts book.
 
Upvote 0
Re: military button ID needed

vayank54 said:
The button is OC3 in Alberts book.

Thanks vayan. I was hoping someone would give me an Alberts reference. One day when I'm all growd up, I'm gonna get me a copy. Santa doesn't seem to think I'm worthy :-)

Regards.....
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom