🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Toasted copper, possibility of ID is doubtful

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel like I won’t be able to identify this. The detail is so far gone and it is so thin I don’t think I can get anymore detail off of this. All I have to work with is 2 letters and maybe an eagles wing and part of a wreath.
IMG_3762.jpeg

As you can see in the areas I have circled these are the only bits of detail I can possibly see. I for sure know the 2 letters in the top left are “IT” possibly out of the word “United”?

In the red circle next to the letters I outlined what could possibly be an eagles wing, you can see the vertical lines/feather. If you look close enough you can even see the eagles other wing. Admittedly this may just be corrosion and may not be a wing/eagle at all.

Lastly, the bottom circle I have outlined could possibly be part of a wreath/laurel? There are some horizontal lines that don’t appear to be corrosion but that is a complete guess and may be nothing aswell. I should add the back side is completely toasted.

I realize this may be a lost cause, as it is in such terrible shape. but if anyone has any clue as to what this could be I would appreciate it. I am also open to ideas of removing more corrosion in the hopes of getting more detail. I found this near a civil war battle site where I also found a dropped ringtail sharps bullet, and an early cast flat button.
IMG_3760.jpeg
IMG_3763.jpeg

OP
OP
DiggerKid2003

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you need to try some gentle cleaning
I worked on for it about an hour, got all the dirt off, the rest is corrosion. Like I said I’m afraid to try and remove anymore corrosion because it’s so thin, but I’m open to trying if anyone has ideas.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
color tones might be giving you visual problems Do the sheet of paper and side of pencil tip rub and see if you can make out more lettering. use a heavy paper. place it over the item. Give it an even whack with a rubber mallet, turn it over and pencil rub. No rubber mallet? place some stiff rubber item over the paper and whack that.

Upvote 0

NBrandt

Feb 3, 2024
I feel like I won’t be able to identify this. The detail is so far gone and it is so thin I don’t think I can get anymore detail off of this. All I have to work with is 2 letters and maybe an eagles wing and part of a wreath.
View attachment 2137911
As you can see in the areas I have circled these are the only bits of detail I can possibly see. I for sure know the 2 letters in the top left are “IT” possibly out of the word “United”?

In the red circle next to the letters I outlined what could possibly be an eagles wing, you can see the vertical lines/feather. If you look close enough you can even see the eagles other wing. Admittedly this may just be corrosion and may not be a wing/eagle at all.

Lastly, the bottom circle I have outlined could possibly be part of a wreath/laurel? There are some horizontal lines that don’t appear to be corrosion but that is a complete guess and may be nothing aswell. I should add the back side is completely toasted.

I realize this may be a lost cause, as it is in such terrible shape. but if anyone has any clue as to what this could be I would appreciate it. I am also open to ideas of removing more corrosion in the hopes of getting more detail. I found this near a civil war battle site where I also found a dropped ringtail sharps bullet, and an early cast flat button. View attachment 2137912 View attachment 2137913

View attachment 2137911

I realize this may be a lost cause, as it is in such terrible shape. but if anyone has any clue as to what this could be I would appreciate it. I am also open to ideas of removing more corrosion in the hopes of getting more detail. I found this near a civil war battle site where I also found a dropped ringtail sharps bullet, and an early cast flat button. View attachment 2137912 View attachment 2137913
Reminds me of a dog tag - military or actual dog…

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Hi - is there nothing at all on the other side? Can you take a photo? Can you get a size in millimeters and/or a weight in grams? I'm leaning toward it being a political campaign token/medalet. But it may not be...

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this, get a piece of aluminum foil and press it smooth on the coin and see if you can make out details in the foil image that you can't see with the naked eye..

Upvote 1

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 2137911

maybe a counterfeit coin

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread