What's new

Military button or newer coat button

Dirty Digger Doug

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2020
Messages
527
Reaction score
3,007
Golden Thread
0
Location
Grand Rapids Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this button today. Has an eagle and shield. Shank is bent over and has caused damage to the front. No back mark on it. Is this just and old coat button?

IMG_20200817_140918087~2.webp

IMG_20200817_140926866~2.webp
 
Looks like WWI era US Army great seal button if the front has black paint as it appears to.
 
Upvote 0
I don't see any signs of black on the front or back but I do agree with spats that it is a military "Great Seal" button. If it does have black on it that would date it from 1910-1923. If it lacks the black finish it would date from 1910-1917 and post 1923. There was a minor change to the shape of the rim sometime around the end of WWII I think but I am not sure exactly when. This is not to confuse the addition of a rim in 1910. Great seal buttons made between 1901 and 1910 did not have a rim. I think your rim is the earlier type.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pre civil war?
Replies
6
Views
577
Replies
12
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom