Military buttons (Firsts for me)

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pulled the smaller one 2 days ago in one part of the yard, then pulled the bigger one late last night. (ya trying to beat the weather and was detecting at night hehe)

I have been googleing these and the one with the fouled anchor I cannot get an exact match to. None of the ones I see have it in the square or with the 4 circles on the outside of said square (the circles have stars in them) Any clues?

And the little one the back is sadly damaged so not too sure it can be precisely dated.

buttonsf.jpg buttonsb.jpg

Upvote 1

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
I think your cuff button is Spanish War era...
BM is listed as 'late 1800s' and the seal looks early 20th C.
No ideas on the anchor. Nice Finds !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Anchor button is civilian modern blazer button.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
vandaria

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! Crusader I am sure there is no answer to this just curious if you have more of a time period? If not no biggie. Just like to write down things about come of my finds. In my head I am thinking it has to be at least 25 ish years old as hubby has had the house that long and that part of the yard is inaccessible to others, and I found it about 5 inches down.

steelheadwill thank you too! I wasn't sure with the back being messed up I would be able to date it very well. And don't have a book on the buttons to be able to look at the variations of the emblems. So much appreciated!

OP
OP
vandaria

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah ha! Was searching still about the anchor button and found other threads where people were trying to id buttons and someone pointed out waterbury's site. So I went there and found it! www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=46&idproduct=28827 The stars are a tiny bit different but then who knows how many years they have been making this design and what slight variations there are. So in case somewhere down the road someone else digs up one like it and somehow ends up on this post..here it is!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: Sweet buttons.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah ha! Was searching still about the anchor button and found other threads where people were trying to id buttons and someone pointed out waterbury's site. So I went there and found it! www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=46&idproduct=28827 The stars are a tiny bit different but then who knows how many years they have been making this design and what slight variations there are. So in case somewhere down the road someone else digs up one like it and somehow ends up on this post..here it is!

Now your a researcher. Thats the one. Not sure the time period they made these, but probably the last 50 years max.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds Vandaria! There is nothing like digging a cool button and just itching to find out what it is.:icon_thumleft:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
As Crusader stated, you are a researcher. great work :thumbsup:
I was going on the assumption that your cuff BM is ' * Waterbury Button Co'
it appears that # 14 would be a match if this is the case.
I look forward to seeing more recoveries, HH :hello:

WATERBURY BACKMARKS.jpg

OP
OP
vandaria

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the compliment =) steelheadwill may I ask what book that is from? Also I agree at how the lettering is it looks like #14. Again thank you for your time looking at my finds and helping me id them!!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
The book is Warren Tice 'Uniform buttons of the United States 1776-1865'.
Has a lot of info, but deals mostly with CW era buttons, I hear that he will be publishing another edition
concentrating on the earlier pieces.
Alberts book is the most comprehensive, but Tice is affordable. (check around, prices vary greatly)
Harry Ridgeways 'Relicman' site has a wealth of button & relic info, in addition to items for sale, check the 'Archive' list at bottom of the homepage. The Civil War Relicman, Harry Ridgeway

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread