What's new

Military find help!

EC.Mason

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2009
Messages
676
Reaction score
1,041
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys found this today. Someone in another thread said it was a “ collar disk seal” but I don’t know what that is or how old this is ha ha. Can’t anyone help me out? The first pic is the front and the second is the back. Thanks!

68D5F369-8379-4855-8DCB-5AC435485A57.webp0E42B76D-D9E1-4857-86E3-87D8199CDA4B.webp
 
detached enlisted men 1942-1970
Z
 
Upvote 0
yea it does look kinda big now that you mention it . pics are better when not in hand and a known object such as a quarter are next to it for comparison .
 
Upvote 0
Here’s it beside a Indian head penny I found. I appreciate all this help!E00D57FE-3071-4CC0-933B-0FB05440F9CF.webpE00D57FE-3071-4CC0-933B-0FB05440F9CF.webp
 
Upvote 0
Yes it is pretty big. Bigger then an old half dollar
 
Upvote 0
Early ww 2 hat brass was solid thin brass and later became heavier two piece brass and some after market replacements was also gold plated.
 
Upvote 0
Pardon me, but since nobody else has stepped forward to correct the mis-identification, I must do so. E.C. Mason's find is definitely not a "US Army cap-badge. It is a US Army "Geat Seal of the US" horse-harness rosette, in service from 1902 to the present day. This specimen's brass attachment-bar is broken off the rosette's back. If you rotate the photo of E.C. Mason's find, you'll see the "stubs" match up with the location of the crossbar's legs in the photo below. I'll include a photo showing it on the horse bridle. By the way, it wasn't used just for Cavalry... any kind of US Officer's horse also had it.
 

Attachments

  • WW1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle_solid-with-brassbar_backview.webp
    WW1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle_solid-with-brassbar_backview.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 56
  • WW1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle-on-harness_headstall.webp
    WW1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle-on-harness_headstall.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0
A rosette makes sense. Even though used today, there aren't that many horses in the army anymore. So I would say pre WWII.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom