Military Item Found in Rural IL Field.. What is it?

warhorse67

Jul 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artifact.jpg This item was found in a field in a very rural Illinois town after being plowed. I'm not sure what it is. There is an eagle, and in his claws he holds an anchor. There appear to be 6 cannonballs beneath the anchor, and surrounding the eagle appears to be 13 stars. It's made of brass. I do not own the item. It belongs to a family member who discovered it in his field. This is the only photo I have of it. I assume it's navy. There is nothing on the back side, no clasps of any kind.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can we see a picture of the back. It looks like a Navy Tongue and Wreath buckle, however the wreath portion typically attaches on another piece, and it not part of the tongue.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Called a False Two Piece

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kuger is correct, your belt buckle's form is known as a "False 2-Piece" buckle. Specifically, your buckle is a US Navy Officer buckle, Regulation 1876 Pattern. Your exact buckle is shown in the 1877 catalog of Horstmann & Brothers Co., a major dealer of militay gear in Philadelphia PA. The version in your photo continued in use up until at least World War One. Also, see buckle #1019 in the book "American Military Belt Plates" by O'Donnell & Campbell.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread