What's new

Military Medal ? Brass German Cross

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Military Medal: CSA Honor Cross? German?

Hey Gang,
I found this cross medal today in the same area that produced the 1894 Sambo Cap Gun, NC Staff Officer's Button (Indian Wars) as well as many Civil War relics. It is brass and measures 1 3/8 inches from top to bottom. I think it was a 2 piece cross, and the front of the top is missing. It is shaped like the Southern Cross of Honor as well as the German Iron Cross. Any help on what this could be would be appreciated. Thanks :) Breezie (The images will enlarge when double clicked.)
View attachment 623682View attachment 623683View attachment 623684View attachment 623685
 
Last edited:
That's a very interesting find Breezie. A war souvenir perhaps? You beat me today. All I had was melted lead, one .36 cal. ball, and a hoof pick. WTG, Q.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Q! I'm not sure if it is a WWI or WWII souvenir or not because the 'catch' looks older. I was also thinking it could be the something dealing with the Southern Cross of Honor? Hopefully someone will recognize at least the age of the business end. :) Breezie SouthernCrossOfHonor.webp
 
Upvote 0
After studying this piece more, I think the faceplate is missing from the top area. I went back today to try to find the faceplate, but was unsuccessful. I also think the post in the back was either a stick pin or push pin type. I tried to photoshop the missing faceplate showing the 3 prongs that would have held it in place. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas, BreezieView attachment 624014
View attachment 624015
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom