Milk spotted coins

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I am sure many of you know by now most "new" bullion coins from places like Canada (Maples and Wildlife coins, maybe others), UK (Britannias), Australia (saltwater crocs, spiders, new kangaroo coins in tubes), Austria (Philharmonics) etc, tend to milk spot quite aggressively in some cases.

Do any of you think over time collectors will just learn to accept them and get used to them, or will people avoid them because they don't like the way they look with the spots? Personally I think they look like crap spotted, and I will only buy them as spotted coins cheap when they are available. I can get spotted gov coins (all but ASEs) for the same price as new generic rounds, and both the generics and milk spotted gov coins bring the same price when re-selling to the coin store, so in that case I prefer gov made bullion as spotted since I know the coins are legit vs generics at the same price).

I have several tubes of mint sealed Britannias and the 1 tube I opened is full of beautiful (art work) yet highly spotted coins. I am thinking of dumping the rest of my tubes of them (still sealed) in that I have a dealer willing to pay me a few cents over what I bought them for a few months ago. I would rather use the proceeds to buy cheaper bullion (perhaps even spotted gov coins LOL). I would gain roughly $1.25 per coin sold and wind up with the same amount of silver in the end by dumping the sealed tubes and putting the proceeds into cheaper bullion (which is now available). My fear is down the road these milk spotted coins will be avoided and I would rather cash out the little equity now and put the $$$ into cheaper stuff which in the end will probably bring the same as the sealed tube coins would (I am guessing?). I don't know for sure what is happening in my sealed tubes, but the one I opened on day 1 to use as a "control" shows me spotting now so I assume the rest will do the same since they came from the same mint "box". I never even touched the coins in the opened tube when I first got them (and the coin facing up showed no spotting at the time), but now I poured them into a tray and all the coins seem to show spotting. Maybe it has to do with air hitting the coins?

Wanted to see what you all think about the milk spotting issue, etc.

Jim

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Jim,
I think you will be interested in this article.
Don......
The Coin Analyst: Collectors Crying Over Milk-Spotted American Silver Eagles

Thanks Don. I saw that a while back. I actually think the ASEs spot the least out of the modern coins. But you really can't trust any of them to be perfect when it comes to the spots.

I had a slabbed Canadian silver coin look awesome in a PCGS slab and within 6 months or so it spotted in the slab and now looks like crap.

Jim

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Has anyone successfully used acetone to remove milk spots?

Didn't work for me. None of the online fixes worked for me. Any that required direct contact with the coin (pencil eraser, jewelry cloth, etc) all left scratches of some sort, even if they were faint. Right now there is NO real fix that leaves the coin in perfect condition. If there is a fix nobody who knows will reveal it.

If someone ever comes up with a real cure, I have lots of nice Canadian Timberwolf, Cougar, modern libertads, etc, coins that are spotted that I got cheap that I could "fix" and make some nice $$$ off of.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread