Mills County Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Joshua Moses Jackson August 1, 1839

San Augustine > Harrison (by boundary chgs became Marion Co.) > Brown Co (now Mills Co), Texas

1810-1858) Bro. to Aaron Jackson - other probable bro/sisters: William, Edward, Silas, Joe, Emma and possibly Thomas - also appears to be related to John Jackson who sold land & property to Joshua Moses located on the Big Cypress Bayou in what is now Marion County, a few miles from Jefferson, Texas. This John Jackson later moved west, settling in Coryell County on land that became part of Fort Hood in 1943. - Joshua married Lydia ? in 1827 in Copiah County, Misissippi. Received CLASS 3 Grant of 640 acres - Conditional Certificate issued 24 Dec 1839 issued in San Augustine County - Unconditional Certificate issued 3 Oct 1842 issued in Harrison County - shown on 1850 census as "J" Jackson in Harrison Co., Texas - Elected Justice of the Peace in 1850 - shown on 1850 census as "J" Jackson in Harrison Co.,Texas - finally settling in Brown County on Pecan Bayou (now Mills Co.) - Rebecca, dau of Joshua Moses & Lydia Jackson married John S. Stroud. Ellen Stroud, dau. of Rebecca wrote of the Murder of Jackson Family In Brown County,1858 in her 1911 article for Hunter's Magazine, and is considered the more reliable of several versions printed. Within her account as told by her mother, (Robecca describing the incident which occurred on 21 Oct 1858): "...the Indians overtook us and running up along side, they killed my father. Even then the rest of us might have escaped if there had been some one to take up the reins, but the driver [her father] being killed, the team sped forward without guidance and in their mad flight, ran the hack against a tree, from which they could not get loose. When this occurred, the Indians came up and killed and scalped mother and Louisia, the eldest child with her, and also, I. J., the youngest. They also scalped my father. They spared my brother, Joshua, who was then ten years old and Rebecca, (myself) aged eight years and held us in captivity..[later rescued by Texas Rangers and neighbors]....the body of my father, Mr. Jackson, was found about a quarter of a mile from where the hack was discovered. The body of mother was found near the hack and in a position that led to the belief that when slain she was kneeling in prayer. The bodies of the murdered children were found near that of mother". Other children not with Moses at the time of the massacre: John Thomas m. Ann J. Carroll on Oct 1, 1861 in Mills County, Texas; Javan William m. Mary Jane Smith on March 18, 1867 at San Saba, San Saba County, Texas; Jethro N. d. 1858 natural causes not long after his parents were killed. Wilbarger goes into more varied details of the massacre as well as the rescue efforts of Rebecca and Joshua of the massace within his book Indian Depredations in Texas.

Location: Where state road 573 crosses Pecan Bayou is the Historical Marker

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/TX-Treasure8.html
In October of 1858, Moses and Lydia Jackson, along with four of their seven children, set out from their cabin in the southeast section of Mills County to spend the day with friends. But the family would not make it to their friends. Instead they came upon a group of Indians, most likely Comanches, and both adults and two of their children were killed near Jackson Springs. Two other children were abducted, only to be abandoned some two weeks later. The children walked for two days before being recovered by a search party of settlers and Texas Rangers near Sweetwater.

Mr. and Mrs. Jackson and the two children killed by the Indians were buried where they fell. A Texas Historical marker now marks to the spot in Mills County, located where state road 573 crosses the Pecan Bayou.

Almost immediately following the Jackson Massacre, a legend of buried gold began to be circulated. According to the tale, Moses Jackson had successfully sold a number of steers in the summer of 1858 and received gold in payment. His second oldest son, Javan, who had not joined their family on their ill-fated trip, had overheard his parents talking about the gold. Moses Jackson then poured the gold into a metal receptacle and disappeared outside, returning sometime later without the metal container.

Presumably, Mr. Jackson buried it somewhere near his property. After the tragic death of his family members, the two remaining younger children were sent to live with their oldest brother, John Thomas Jackson in Lampasas, Texas. Javan, who was old enough to care for himself, was said to have spent considerable time search for the gold he was sure his father buried near their cabin.

Since that time, dozens of people have searched for Moses Jackson’s hidden cache, but if it has ever been found, no record of a claim has ever been made.

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
beautifull area of Texas. I was over that way a couple of years ago and saw a historical marker for this. I roamed the properties around this area as part of my job, but unfortunately found no treasure. Didn't even know one was supposed to exist until I read the above post. I might have paid closer attention to all the cracks and crevices of this area had i known of it. I would love to grab some property down this way if for no better reason than to retire.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread