Mine again... Wooden nickel!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found this wooden nickel on Ebay a few weeks back, and got it for a fair price. Just one of those things I collect! Anyway, I figured I could take it to my lab and remove the gob of goo from the one side and the paint from the other.

Turns out that the 'paint' was actually white out, coming off fairly easy with acetone. I know it was white out because underneath was written a name in ball point pen. When I saw the name, I recognized it-- I had put the white out over it to cover it up back when I was about 10 years old! The gob was glue I put on the other side when I was building a model airplane.

My grandmother gave me about a half dozen of these wooden nickels when I was nine or so. I don't remember what happened to them, and the seller was listing them from her deceased father's estate. She had no idea where he got them, either. Gone missing for about 40 years...

What a kick! buying stuff on Ebay I once had as a kid!

Attachments

• woodn nickel 1.jpg
    woodn nickel 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 72
  • woodn nickel2.jpg
    woodn nickel2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 77

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really bizarre. Amazing to find something that was yours. I had a bunch of those when I was little too. I got some of them at the Danbury(ct) state fair and I seem to remember a bank in our area gave them away.

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the person who sold it on eBay from your area ?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and remarkable to find your own wooden nickel again after so many years. Incredible.

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Seems very rare. Interesting!

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this wooden nickel on Ebay a few weeks back, and got it for a fair price. Just one of those things I collect! Anyway, I figured I could take it to my lab and remove the gob of goo from the one side and the paint from the other.

Turns out that the 'paint' was actually white out, coming off fairly easy with acetone. I know it was white out because underneath was written a name in ball point pen. When I saw the name, I recognized it-- I had put the white out over it to cover it up back when I was about 10 years old! The gob was glue I put on the other side when I was building a model airplane.

My grandmother gave me about a half dozen of these wooden nickels when I was nine or so. I don't remember what happened to them, and the seller was listing them from her deceased father's estate. She had no idea where he got them, either. Gone missing for about 40 years...

What a kick! buying stuff on Ebay I once had as a kid!

Do you have any like this? This one says it is good for one pack of baseball cards.

Attachments

• image-2404203026.jpg
    image-2404203026.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
lab rat

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
To answer the questions-- basically I collect older stuff from my hometown of Placerville, including wooden nickels, tokens, milk caps, matchbooks, postcards, fruit labels, embossed bottles, various miscellaneous stuff. Some is memorabilia from when I was a kid, and some is much older (like the bottles). I'm no expert on wooden nickels, just have a few from that area. Here are a few pix-- just as examples.

Attachments

• pville pony express.jpg
    pville pony express.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 63
  • pino vista dairy cap red green.jpg
    pino vista dairy cap red green.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2501.jpg
    IMG_2501.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 78
  • better matchbooks strikeside.jpg
    better matchbooks strikeside.jpg