OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real, Old Ron Quinn used to take along his fence mending kit and when ever they encountered a fence they simply cut, re-tensioned, and patched it. They became so good at this the Ranchers never knew they were going through and the fence looked as good as new. And they had it down to just a few minutes of work!

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Whites MX SPORT, Tesoro Eldorado 1989 model, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scout, don't let the private lands and locked gates discourage you. For one thing, over 80% of all the land in Arizona is public land, not private, and although it requires different permits you can prospect on state lands too, where BLM or Forest Service requires no permits. It does mean you need to do some research on who owns what lands, and if the place you wish to search is on private land, it will not hurt to ask permission. Some landowners are happy to have someone search, so long as you split the proceeds if and when you make a find, and the worst they can say is H-LL no. In fact across most of the western states of the US, most of the land is public lands and no permits are required to hunt for treasures on them, just study your maps, learn what lands are public and go prepared.

If you let these land grabbers discourage you and stay home, they win. You can't find a lost treasure by sitting at home. Life is short and as far as we know, we only get one shot at it so go after that treasure! Most people at the end of their lives, regret most the things that they did not do, more than anything they did. Don't wait until they outlaw prospecting and treasure hunting, go for it. Good luck and good hunting Scout, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

I here ya Oro,
Don't get me wrong, I was merely reflecting back to the times when these mines were started by dream seekers like us all here with the passion burning us up every day for "whats around that next corner" or over that next hill right! I wore myself out at an early age from an "over active lifestyle" the doctors now refer to people who come in for hip replacements when they are in there 40's like myself:occasion14: but that never slowed me down. One weekend I had the gold pans, metal detector, golf clubs, fishing poles, dirt bike, tennis racket, mtn. bike, shotgun & clay thrower and stopping along the way one Friday one of my customers came outside and said "where the hell are you going" I said oh up to our family cabin for the weekend:thumbsup:
Looking for the Lost Padre Mine was our family's passion and had great days down the canyon looking for it finding pieces of the past and trying to vision where to search next.
Eventually I settled down, no more racing dirt bikes, body thrashed from not sitting at home on the couch chasing my adventures, now with a good woman, a dog and a small business to run I can't go wandering off like I used to but I still make time for planned Detector Hunts, and some fly fishing trips.
I have a great hunt planned with my brother coming up, I came across in my research a few years ago a couple maps of an old mining camp that was removed by the _ _ giving all the measurements of where each building was and what they were, one being the blacksmith shop. Someone probably lost there job over it for having the maps on the site, and they were not on the internet a few weeks after I found and printed them out. Pretty killer because we already detect the area and this area has never been hunted before. I don't mind saying it on here cause no one knows where in the heck I'm talking about.
Like you said Oro; "Most people at the end of their lives, regret most the things that they did not do, more than anything they did." Your right! absolutely, I lived more in my lifetime than probably 10 people put together and I still can't sit still on the couch:occasion14: Thanks Oroblanco! hope you find yours as well:occasion14:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antonio Banderas in " The 13th warrior " movie , said before a crucial battle :

" Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done; I pray thee, God, for forgiveness."

Last edited:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way the Spaniards most probably had black smiths that could take iron ore (found almost everywhere n the US) process and beat it into sheets...so they didn't have to bring iron with them.

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks bill for your video, i did learn something new and your video is very interesting.
Ron

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stories like the Iron door treasure cave variants rose to popular reading during the time of the great depression, it was a way to escape the poverty and broken dreams and have a delicious pipe dream about 'hitting it big'. Cheap magazines and dime novels found a rich market mining the pockets of the depression era public. And you know, if you saw it in writing, well it must be true, right?

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stories like the Iron door treasure cave variants rose to popular reading during the time of the great depression, it was a way to escape the poverty and broken dreams and have a delicious pipe dream about 'hitting it big'. Cheap magazines and dime novels found a rich market mining the pockets of the depression era public. And you know, if you saw it in writing, well it must be true, right?

instead of being so negative why don't you get out there and find something worth talking about? wait you can't do that because apparently you like tearing something down without giving it a second thought. seems like a lot of you people out there.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
instead of being so negative why don't you get out there and find someone worth talking about? wait you can't do that because apparently you like tearing something down without giving it a second thought. seems like a lot of you people out there.

I'll bet the geezer doesn't play video games much either.

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron Quinn has died just this last August 30th 2017. Before his death Ron was an avid treasure hunter and wrote stories for a treasure hunting magazine. Ron was contacted by numerous people in the early 1960's about various treasure stories or hunts they were doing. One of which was the Iron Door Mine. Ron was receiving by mail correspondence from a person in California a true story about how his great, great, great, Grandfather and his brother had found the Iron Door Mine in the Catalina Mountains only to be ran off by Apaches with the brother being killed in the process. Ron's pen pal in California started sending Ron maps, hand drawn, showing Ron where the location of the Gold Mine was at. He also showed Ron a piece of rich ore that his Great, Great, Great Grandfather had found at the entrance to the mine. Ron and his Friend Bill Conley searched the spot for months camping out high up in the peaks of the range looking for an old prospect with a simple pile of rocks the key to finding the exact location of the mine. They never found it.

Ron was generous enough to let me in on the secret and gave me the series of maps showing each time they searched and took photo's of their location they would send by letter those photo's to the old man that was attempting to show them where the mine was located and each time they got it wrong so eventually they ran out of money and gave up.

My Brother in law and I took up the search by reading each letter and map to see where Ron and Bill went wrong in their search.

After a few months of preparation we drove as far as we could up there and hiked in looking for the old prospect they never found as the key locator for the secret trail leading to the mine. I studied the maps by blowing them up and placing them on top of topo maps and using then new world view satellite photo's. We went up there on a clear day in October and made our way down to the area I suspected was where the prospect may have been over looked.

We searched for hours and were both ready to give up and start back when I literally almost fell into the old prospect!

Ron said I couldn't show these maps to anyone other than my partner and Brother in Law while he was alive.

There is one more key that has to be found at the entrance to the covered mine entrance that I'm not sharing.

The hike involves a drop of about 3000 feet and a hiking climb back up the canyon unless you hike down and out the range. Either way it's a grueling hike for only the fittest of people.

Ron was excited we'd found the prospect one of the keys to finding the rich gold mine. On our way out of the range we got caught in a freak storm that almost took our lives!

I never made it back up there and now the hike is even worse as the road like so many others in Arizona has been blocked off by the forest disservice.

I may decide to post some of the maps in there entirety on here someday so someone else may have a chance at finding the old Iron Door Mine. The person whom posted earlier about dime novels and the depression era has it dead wrong. The Legend of the Iron Door Mine has been around and looked for a few hundred years. I have the Don Page interview documents to prove that.

It's an older Legend than the Dutchman's mine and heard Jacob Waltz may have looked for it himself!

The Bottom line is the Mine is Real and has still not been found!

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose it would be hard to prove beyond doubt a particular mine was was a particular lost mine? There must be hundreds of shafts and abandoned mines all over the countryside. Some open, some partly filled in. Perhaps more than one with an iron door? However thanks for the interesting story?

I hope you get a chance to one day explore more of the site you found.

Mal

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Several years ago the new version of True West published an article on famous lost mines and treasures and it was a pile of horse puckey. These good people will research every detail of a famous gunfight - and then publish obvious nonsense about these. The story went that some train robbers dragged an iron door across the prairie and then into the mountains to use to seal up a cave where they stashed their loot. On the face of it this is laughable. But they ran it anyway.

This is not to say the Mine With the Iron Door discussed here falls into the same category. My point is there is a lot of fiction in the library of treasure hunting literature. Harold Bell Wright's novel fathered a great many stories that have no foundation in fact.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Several years ago the new version of True West published an article on famous lost mines and treasures and it was a pile of horse puckey. These good people will research every detail of a famous gunfight - and then publish obvious nonsense about these. The story went that some train robbers dragged an iron door across the prairie and then into the mountains to use to seal up a cave where they stashed their loot. On the face of it this is laughable. But they ran it anyway.

This is not to say the Mine With the Iron Door discussed here falls into the same category. My point is there is a lot of fiction in the library of treasure hunting literature. Harold Bell Wright's novel fathered a great many stories that have no foundation in fact.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

A few years ago I put together a list of “lost Spanish mines with iron doors”. It was extensive - maybe 10-12 all over the west, as I recall. The one in the Catalinas is the most well-known, but IMO all these tales are very questionable. The KGC folks claim that the meme is a too-oft used cover story for otherwise legitimate caches in the vicinity.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
sdcfia:

If you can find a copy of your roster I would certainly like to read it!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
sdcfia:

If you can find a copy of your roster I would certainly like to read it!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I can’t get to it from the iPad I’m currently using. When I get back home in May, I’ll search for it on my laptop.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Thank you! I looked through Probert last night and couldn't find a reference - which surprised me. This morning I looked again under "Iron Door" and found several cites. KvonM's Encyclopedia it is also known as the "Lost Escalante Mine" - apparently that's the name in Wright's novel.

I look forward to your roster, and appreciate your effort in locating it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new Treasure Quest show has a waybill that claims the Treasure is stashed behind an Iron Door!

The Molina Document and Map comes to mind. Another rederretero waybill that leads to vast treasure that the Jesuits left.

The Iron Door Mine seems to be a very common theme among Jesuit waybills. The Treasure site I've been working for years is what I believe to be part of that legend.
Iron Door can mean many things like a booby trapped entrance or a door sealed with tons of stone and rubble. Personally, I believe it to be the symbol that signifies the mine.
I found my mine intact with the Horse shoe symbol as a final placement. The horse shoe is made from Iron which gives the mine the name Iron Door or iron shoe. These types of mines were hidden elsewhere through out the world. Utilizing timed solar events they hid these mines in the fabric of time itself. Which if you think about it the system is Genius!
Only those that know how to follow the right sacred trail by using the proper secret rock symbols can witness the event symbols at the proper time of day and year. If you miss these events it takes another year for you to complete the map. Patience is a virtue and the Jesuit's had plenty of that. Using time for hiding treasure is in my book a way of secretion that you could come back to hundreds of years later and still find the treasure in the mine.

The work of those that knew how to use time before any clocks had been invented.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watertown republican. (Watertown, Wis.), 14 Jan. 1885.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a weird article. The Old Mexican has the same name as the guardian of the underworld! "Tio" or "El Tio"
is the Uncle or better known as Satan who guards and protects the Treasures down inside the Earth! This was used in Bolivia, Peru and Brazil during the Spanish influence of the regions. I've found the symbols for El Tio in Arizona near the vast treasures they protected. Practically every major mother load mine had his symbol nearby. His statue was down in the entrance and his symbol on rock outcrops on the mountain where the treasures reside!

Cool Article!

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a weird article. The Old Mexican has the same name as the guardian of the underworld! "Tio" or "El Tio"
is the Uncle or better known as Satan who guards and protects the Treasures down inside the Earth! This was used in Bolivia, Peru and Brazil during the Spanish influence of the regions. I've found the symbols for El Tio in Arizona near the vast treasures they protected. Practically every major mother load mine had his symbol nearby. His statue was down in the entrance and his symbol on rock outcrops on the mountain where the treasures reside!

Cool Article!

The last episode of the Sacambaya Treasure on Treasure Quest this season has many similarities to the Molina Document and Map. I would say that whomever constructed the t of t waybill did the same with the Sacambaya waybill. They both sound the same in that respect. It seems to follow a pattern of waybills and could be true. If it is than the Tumacacori waybill must also be treasure document. I don't think it to be Jesuit. Just maybe those who reported the Jesuits before the expulsion as being rich are the ones that had the treasures and only wanted to pin the hoarding on the religious priests. The references to "San Ramon" and other similar writing gives one pause to these waybills.

If the Treasure of Sacumbaya is proved to be real I believe the waybill Treasure of Tumacacori could be real as well.
I noticed they mentioned Tumacacori and El Tio in the history of Jesuit Missions.

I can't wait to see the show next week!!

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last episode of the Sacambaya Treasure on Treasure Quest this season has many similarities to the Molina Document and Map. I would say that whomever constructed the t of t waybill did the same with the Sacambaya waybill. They both sound the same in that respect. It seems to follow a pattern of waybills and could be true. If it is than the Tumacacori waybill must also be treasure document. I don't think it to be Jesuit. Just maybe those who reported the Jesuits before the expulsion as being rich are the ones that had the treasures and only wanted to pin the hoarding on the religious priests. The references to "San Ramon" and other similar writing gives one pause to these waybills.

If the Treasure of Sacumbaya is proved to be real I believe the waybill Treasure of Tumacacori could be real as well.
I noticed they mentioned Tumacacori and El Tio in the history of Jesuit Missions.

I can't wait to see the show next week!!
I just l-o-v-e their GPR - wish I had one of those!! Last time I checked it was the 'box-on-wheels' and it cost a fortune-and-a-half to rent one (deep sigh)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread