minelab equinox

Mitchmann

Apr 4, 2022
Looking at getting a equinox 800 for my first detector. What are some of the best books/videos for learning this thing? I know everyone on you tube claims to know everything about anything. LOL! Been seeing a lot of the Andy Sabisch book. is it worth the buy? any other books like that? I just would like to get to know this machine correctly so I dont get frustrated and actually find some things. Thanks

Upvote 5
OP
OP
M

Mitchmann

Apr 4, 2022
I love my 800! You'll love it too.
I got this book off Amazon, $24.00...

The Minelab Equinox 600 800 Metal Detector Hand book by Andy Sabisch​

i hope i will love it being a total newbie to detecting??? seems very overwhelming. i have the itch.just getting cold feet. i just found this one. don't know anything about it?
The Minelab Equinox: “From Beginner to Advanced”

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 600, and loving it. Way above my old detector and takes a bit of learning but as previously stated by the other members, use the factory programs and start from there. I use a coin program when I'm searching an area and only have a short time or looking for the major targets but you miss a lot doing that.
You can pick up the 6 Inch coil comes in handy when your in trashy areas, or dense woods.
Happy hunting!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do not come with a manual, you will need to go to the Minelab website and download and print the manual and read the whole thing a few times. I bought the Andy first edition Nox book, it was a waste of money, the factory manual is great. If it beeps all over the place lower the sensitivity, I often have to hunt with the sensitivity turned down to 16 to make it stable in trashy areas. I also strongly suggest hunting on your own property to learn proper plug cutting and hole making before you hit public places like parks, schools, or churches so you don't make a mess of other people's places. Good Luck!!

uhfradarwill

Mar 20, 2022
Barre, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab:
Sovereign GT
Equinox

Tesoro:
Comparde
I've done most of my detecting with the Sovereign GT, and after a three year lay off, recently purchased an Equinox. Just watch some youboob videos, read some threads, and go with the best teacher of all; swinging the coil!!
Great machine...

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice... Turn it on and go swinging. Don't mess with the settings other than sensitivity. Experience is the best teacher. Love my Nox 800. First time out with it got a 1944 walking half. But if it's not in the ground you wont find it. Don't expext treasure to be everywhere. Good luck out there.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, it offers fine tuning, but don't be afraid, it literally can be turned on and used. Turn on, pick a pre program (field, beach, park etc) and detect. Really that simple. You can learn the fine tuning features later after you get some seat time.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Indiana Jones once said "If you want to be a good archaeologist, you gotta get out of the library!"

uhfradarwill

Mar 20, 2022
Barre, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab:
Sovereign GT
Equinox

Tesoro:
Comparde
Everybody above has given very sound advice IMHO.
As an Equinox user I'll add that in the case you do make some adjustments and feel you need a "fresh start", just power off and when you power back on hold the on button for around 8 seconds till you see "FP" appear.
This sets all user settings back to factory preset.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread