Minelab Excal - Underwater Pulltabs

• Thread starter Deleted member 12200
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12200

My Excal makes solid passes at Pull Tabs, especially when I'm in Salt Water. I have the threshold at about half, sensitivity about half, discrimination 3 and I'm in Disc Mode. Is this something I'll have to live with while trying to get at the good stuff? Can I change my settings? Will my ears eventually learn what a Pull Tab sounds like?

Upvote 0

XT18000

May 26, 2008
Better to use NO disc. and get the gold along with the pull tabs than to use any disc. and miss it.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zero discm in the water and dig all the pull tabs. I have noticed that pull tabs sound different from time to time, but every gold I have pulled has sounded like a pull tab in the water. I will tell you a trick though. When you hit on it turn your discm to half way if it does not beep then theres a good chance its a gold ring DIG IT, another 1-2 notches up and if it beeps still then its a pull tab but could be large gold. After that it should cut out, if it doesn't then its a coin. Like I said in the water I dig it all and keep my discm on zero, but on dry sand I can go crazy with pull tabs so I will use this trick.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The settings I use are Sens. set as high as conditions allow, sometimes 9 o'clock and sometimes only 3. Disc at Zero or 1. Volume all the way up, put tape over the drain holes in the earcups. Threshold where you can barely hear it.

You can lay down some pull tabs on the dry sand with out any other metals near by and then some gold rings of white and yellow gold of different sizes. Sweep the coil over each target to listen to the sounds. This will tell you that you are just going to have to scoop all the sounds you will hear since there won't be as many pull tabs out in the water compared to dry sand and you don't want to take a chance of missing one good ring because you were lazy to dig what you thought was a pull tab. ;D

Good Luck,
Sandman

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman, why tape over the drain holes?
Is it to cut out the noise from the wind and surf?

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drain holes are there to help the headphones equalize during diving. For wading they are not needed and sealing them allows you to hear just a lil touch better those faint signals when using a low threshold. Its amazing how much outside noise comes in though those lil holes.
For someone that is 1000% positive they will never get hit by a rouge wave or step in a hole and get dunked having minelab switch the stock plastic headphones out with even just the ur-30`s results in a dramantic sound difference, only drawback one dunking and there toast.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set thresh to where it sounds like a tiny mosquito near my ear, volume is max, I set sense to where it becomes stable then back off just a hair. (usually between 9-3). It will depend on the amount of black sand in the water and interference. I NEVER EVER set my disc above 1, usually set it at 0. If you set it at half you are going to miss a lot of goodies.

Sweep North to South, turn 180 degrees sweep East to West, if you have a solid signal both directions, no matter how faint it is dig it. The excal will null on the iron, dig every thing else..................

Pull tabs are made with different base metals along with the aluminum, there are so many different sounds to them, some you will recognize every time, but many you want. The only way to skip digging pull tabs at the beach is to put the detector down and grab a frisbee.

Good luck and good hunting..................

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
Treasure_Hunter said:
I set thresh to where it sounds like a tiny mosquito near my ear, volume is max, I set sense to where it becomes stable then back off just a hair. (usually between 9-3). It will depend on the amount of black sand in the water and interference. I NEVER EVER set my disc above 1, usually set it at 0. If you set it at half you are going to miss a lot of goodies.

Sweep North to South, turn 180 degrees sweep East to West, if you have a solid signal both directions, no matter how faint it is dig it. The excal will null on the iron, dig every thing else..................

Pull tabs are made with different base metals along with the aluminum, there are so many different sounds to them, some you will recognize every time, but many you want. The only way to skip digging pull tabs at the beach is to put the detector down and grab a frisbee.

Good luck and good hunting..................
YEP this is exactally how i run mine !!!!!!!!!!

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
Just dig those lowtones. Nickles pulltabs and GOLD will always come.
LT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread