Minelab Excaliber User Asdvice on accessories

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT
I have used an explorer for years and the weight doesn't bother me although I am now proficient at switching from one arm to the other. I am getting ready to order an Excaliber but being that I am not a diver, need a shallow water/sand length shaft. Anderson has the fiberglass lower shaft, the long shaft, and the long over/under. Any opinions out there? Also I gather I need an alkaline battery pod.

Stuart

Upvote 0
I highly recommend you get a straight shaft, you can order one or make your own. The straight shaft helps balance the Excal, it makes all the difference in the world when hunting. You can exam them on EBay to get an idea of how to make one, or can post pictures here. You have to be carefull to drill the holes in the right location so your coil is level to the ground when you have your arm in the armcuff and controls align up properly to suit you, but it is not really hard....

Here is a thread with pictures on a straight shaft done by MTPockets, a friend of mine who also worked on my striaght shaft at the same time we did the water proof splice to wire in a WOT coil to my new used Excal 1000. I prefer to hunt in the water with the 15 inch WOT coil........................ Pockets does excellent work. :icon_thumright:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,268574.0.html

I also highly recommend a shoulder harness, it attaches to your shaft with a bungee and takes all the weight off your arm, all you basically do is guide it, the weight is supported by your shoulder via the bungee. Below is one I got from Kellyco, I have modified it with thicker bungee and hooks after the old one became worn from lots of use.

lejermonModel-Sharness.jpg

Good luck hunting...................

I however use the straight shaft only for the added length and carry the controls from a harness around my neck as this removes all extra weight from the arm. The sliding the arm in and out of the cuff is a chore when you have to retrieve targets to use both hands on the scoop shaft so I have just the arm rest from the orginal shaft that came with the Excal. You just grab the handle and go........

I use to carry the controls around my neck like Sandman also, but I stopped, it started to get heavy.

I'm not as in shape as Sandman is....Here is picture of Sandman.->
weightlifter.gif

Thats why I learned to switch arms. i didn't want one side to look like Arnold S and the other to look like peewee herman. If my legs did the same thingfrom carrying the weight on one side i would only be able to walk in a circle.

With the detector mounted behind the elbow like that can you still reach and adjust the control knobs?

Thanks,
Steve

Mounted just behind your elbow with knobs with in easy reach. I have no problems adjusting them, but for me not much to adjust usually anyway once it is set. Sometimes I hunt in all metal, and switch to disc when target is located, other times I hunt in disc, and I don't use the pinpoint then. Excal easy to locate in disc, target is either on the toe or heal when it first sounds off...............

Thanks a lot for the reply, I will have to try one!
Best,
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back