Minelab Explorer XS vs. Tesoro Tejon !!!

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place: Old hunted-out fairgrounds where coins are few and far between, usually surrounded by heavy amounts of junk.

Detector settings:

Tejon:
SENS = 10
DISC1 = FOIL
DISC2 = TABS
THRESH set low (not supertuned, because I like to trigger into All Metal sometimes)
Ground balance slightly positive
COIL was stock 9x8 concentric

Explorer XS:
SENS = 24 / Manual
IRON MASK -14
GAIN 7
SOUNDS Ferrous
COIL stock 10.5" DD

---------------------
The targets:
---------------------

Target 1. Both detectors gave solid "DIG" signal. Minelab showed it in the area of the screen where I usually get Lincoln pennies- very consistent, did not bounce! Tesoro gave solid tone even on DISC 2.

What it was: A piece of rusted iron!!! Some kind of iron ring or collar. Depth about 6-7 inches. Circular, which is probably why it registered so well. Nothing else in the hole.

------------------
Target 2. Both detectors gave solid "DIG" signal. Minelab showed it in the area where it could have been either a bigger silver coin or a piece of magnetite! Nice fluty high sound with modulation. Tesoro gave a solid tone even on DISC 2.

What it was: A 1911-D Barber Quarter at 7" :) :) :) :) :) Nothing else in the hole but I"ll be sure to scour that area next time!

------------------

Target 3. Minelab made me think it was 2 targets. One of them supposedly was in the silver zone. High fluty tone with modulation, sounded quite nice. Tesoro gave a good but very LOUD signal that began to break up in DISC2. Tesoro also led me to believe it was about 6 to 8 inches from where Minelab said it was. Turned out the Tesoro was right.

What it was: A rusted piece of iron strap hinge! The Minelab had me digging everywhere. Even when I uncovered the hinge w/ the aid of the Tejon, the EXP XS was still telling me there was a coin 6 or 8" over yonder. There wasn't. Took the hinge out of the hole, all signals went away.

-----------------

Target 4. Minelab gave a super high tone w/ very little modulation. Definitely iffy. Cursor jumped from extreme upper left to extreme upper right, indicating nails- basically a "NO DIG" signal. Tejon was still giving me a good signal, somewhat faint but steady- "DIG".

What it was: A small brass air valve, from a bicycle or something, hiding among rusted nails. Depth was about 6".

-----------------

So, there you have the results of this mini-shootout. I conclude that both detectors are excellent, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Tejon pros: Great depth. Lght weight. Good at picking out small targets among nails

Tejon cons: Only one tone. Can be fooled by iron targets sometimes.

Explorer pros: Great depth. Tone ID. Display screen and programmability.

Explorer cons: Heavy weight. Can be fooled by iron targets sometimes, even Tone ID and Display can give false indications. Pinpointing can be very tough esp. if there is rusted iron or targets near each other.

------------------------
UPDATE: Just to clarify, the Explorer would have found the circular iron even with my custom disc programs running. If it shows up in the "coin" area of the screen and makes a nice, high, fluty tone, you're going to detect it even if running Discrim or Iron Mask at a high level.

I hunt with Iron Mask almost wide open, because some coin signals get lost if they're near nails.

In an area where you would not want to find iron items try the iron mask function on the Explorer, it can save you a lot of digging. I have been getting familiar with my EXP II and the iron mask is really impressive in the right conditions. Thanks for the report. Nice to know.

Ed D.

Yes, but much easier on the eyes with a white background. When I originally saw this comparison, the black background and yellow text was hard on the eyes.

Dan

I just came back to see what's new on Tnet after a long absence. And I found this:

geckokid said:
Nice Copy and past job

I get it, you think I actually plagiarized the article.

I guess you weren't aware that I wrote that article... you know, the one with the amber text on a black background.

Yup, I copy and pasted... my own article. The thing is, I can't remember which I posted first- the article on the website, or the post on Tnet.

Come to think of it, what does everybody prefer... black text on white background, or amber text on black background? Which is easier on the eyes?

Rusted,

This was a great article and test. I think maybe the person who stated 'Nice cut and paste job' was possibly saying that because it is in black and white as opposed to the color/font of the original post.

Or...he could be sarcastic and if so, I can see your reason for getting a little upset.

Your article was one of the reasons I picked up a used Tejon. It's a great machine and for the used price, depth and ease of use ( yes, the Tejon is VERY EASY to use) as well as it's sensitivity to the lower conductive targets, I use it a lot.

JC

Great post i read that floating around the web someware but even

in head to head tests it only applies to your hunting ground

people should if possable test and talk to locals to see what works in there ground

Thats why there are so many bad reviews very few detectors work well everyware

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back