Miners moss / nomad alternatives?

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
So what cheaper alternatives of miners moss do you guys use and how well does it work?

I'm wondering how well this stuff would hold up.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...TfilIYfSsAPRn-TOBw&ved=0CEkQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

31yAEkGI2gL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

draft_lens10780261module98296321photo_1272688896hog_hair_filter.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
A little more info on it.

Latex-coated organic fiber with scrim backing. Cut-to-fit. Wash or vacuum for repeat usage. For central air or furnace systems.

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
ive tried this stuff but laid next to unbacked miners moss (Nomad) theres just no comparison

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
prospectordamon said:
ive tried this stuff but laid next to unbacked miners moss (Nomad) theres just no comparison

Does it work decently? Nomads is so darn expensive (especially for covering a 32"x10' sluice :-[).

It looks as though it would work decently. I went over to Walmart and lowes and looked at different brands they look like they would work good as long as you squeezed it down with expanded metal to keep it from packing up too much.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaw outdoor carpet #54163 Veranda-dimpled,flow through unlined for constant fines retention absolutely nuttn' better for any dredge or sluice. It's what the full time folks who eat outta their mining procedes use-John I'll post pics later

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Anybody have any of this carpet John is talking about???
In the Sacramento area, as i have been a victim of some two legged varmits up on my claim.
Will pay and pick up.

Thanks in advance. :icon_thumleft:

Hefty

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
not sure it is exact same as original post shows,but i have been using blue air filter material stuff for years.local building supply has it el cheapo.lasts for a couple hard running weeks,works far better than nomad.just run it on top of ribbed carpet,astroturf,whatever.does not impact like nomad,which requires frequent cleanup.if i ever make it down to redding again will p/u some of that stuff hj is talking about.costs about 5 bucks for enough blue air filter to line my 4inch uh power sluice thingy. :laughing7:

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
oragonads said:
prospectordamon said:

Does it work decently? Nomads is so darn expensive (especially for covering a 32"x10' sluice :-[).

It looks as though it would work decently. I went over to Walmart and lowes and looked at different brands they look like they would work good as long as you squeezed it down with expanded metal to keep it from packing up too much.

Will it catch gold? sure, but as every do-it yourself prospector shoots for near 100% recovery rates, this wont get you there. As with everything, you get what you pay for....

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
I will have to go to my local carpet store and see if they carry that shaw carpet. It would be great to see some pics hoser john.

Thanks for the input guys.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
John Oates showed me this carpet last year. (THANKYOU JOHN!!)i now have it in my 4 inch o/u dredge .i have yet to get it into the water because of all the flooding in the mid-west. but come June ill be headed to Oklahoma to meet up with some friends to give it a whirle for a week or so! this carpet can be ordered from any carpet store. most wont have it on hand.i previously had Miners Moss but it was bad for loading up when shut down and not being able to unload the stuff when started back up. ive seen several stores haveing this carpet as their front door carpet!!! yep it was fastened down! haha

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another alternative is Vortex matting. Actually it is a conveyer belt that grabs gold and black sand like crazy and is easy to do clean ups.
In addition it is water proof and will last forever. It creates a vortex action between the ridges trapping the heavies while releasing the lighter material. Throw away the nomad and the ribbed mat and the expanded metal! Just use vortex under the riffles. About $4 to 5 dollars a running foot 14" wide. Capture the fine gold that you have been losing!

vortex2.jpg

vortex3.jpg

vortex4.jpg

See a demo
http://goldcube.net/#/vortex-matting/4545159400

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Are the fibers in that shaw carpet loose enough that fine gold can make there way through it and something like ribbed rubber mat is needed under it like miners moss? Or will the riffles and expanded metal clamp down on it and seal it like riffled carpet?

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I have some of that vortex matting, and can vouch for its effectiveness. I am building a new highbanker with an inspection tray under the classification area with this stuff. Will post pics of the highbanker soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread