What's new

Mini Bullet help.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
I have found a few different variations of three ringers at this site, but not like this one. I believe I have heard of the name of it, but forgot. Enfield? Any ideas what this one is called and why it has no rings to it? :icon_scratch:
g
 

Attachments

  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 263
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 011.webp
    011.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 226
  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 012.webp
    012.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 013.webp
    013.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 219
I have found two examples of the bullet with the "teat" on the nose in my reference book. Both were used in rifled muskets. They would have been loaded with a greased patch and would not require lubrication grooves. The bullet of that shape is referred to as a "Tower" or "nose cast" bullet. I think Tower refers to the manufacturer and nose cast refers to the style but it is not explained in the reference book. Without exact measurements as with a caliper guage, it's not possible for me to ascertain which one of the examples it might be. They are very close in length, but one is .59 caliber and the other is a .71 caliber. I suspect it is the smaller of the two. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I have found two examples of the bullet with the "teat" on the nose in my reference book. Both were used in rifled muskets. They would have been loaded with a greased patch and would not require lubrication grooves. The bullet of that shape is referred to as a "Tower" or "nose cast" bullet. I think Tower refers to the manufacturer and nose cast refers to the style but it is not explained in the reference book. Without exact measurements as with a caliper guage, it's not possible for me to ascertain which one of the examples it might be. They are very close in length, but one is .59 caliber and the other is a .71 caliber. I suspect it is the smaller of the two. Monty
Wow,
Thank you Monty, great information. Why are you so knowledgeable on bullets? Just something that interest you?
 
Upvote 0
Guns, bullets, handloading and shooting has been my hobby for about 40+ years before I got into metal detecting. I got interested in CW era bullets from being here on the forum. So, I got a CW bullet reference book and did some studying. "Civil War Projectiles II" by W. Reid McKee and M.E. Mason. Jr. is the reference book I use most. There are literally hundreds of different projectiles and bullets listed with photos and some information on their origin, etc. Yet with all this information at hand I still see several different kinds of bullets that aren't calalogued each year. So, after a while you just kind of have to make an educated guess. The Union had pretty much standard bullets for the various calibers, but the Confederacy got many of their bullets from Europe and they came in all sizes and shapes. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom