What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED 1910 Painting Artist Id Help

Cariboo5

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,666
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My research has brought up several names which I cannot find and AI also had different names which did not pan out. Between the artist name and date ( believe it to be 1910 )
I cannot make out the middle word. Al help appreciated........
 

Attachments

  • P0.webp
    P0.webp
    154.1 KB · Views: 76
  • P1.webp
    P1.webp
    158.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Pic2.webp
    Pic2.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 42
  • P3.webp
    P3.webp
    68.6 KB · Views: 43
I can’t help much, but my observations would be that the name seems to end with ‘ek’ and has an ‘o’ in the middle, possibly preceded by the letters ‘ip’. Both the ‘o’ and the ‘e’ have diacritical marks above. I read it as ‘Griporek’ but with a low degree of confidence.

It’s difficult to determine the intended slope of the diacritics, which would help determine the possible language/country but, in combination with the ‘ek’ suffix, it would most likely be Polish or Slavic.

If it reads ‘ Griporek’, as I suspect it might, then AI says that’s an uncommon surname of Slavic origin, with roots tracing primarily to Poland, and a regional variant of one of the many “son of Gregory” surnames from those regions. I don’t put a huge amount of confidence in that either, but it would at least be consistent with what I think I can see.

As for the painting itself, it looks about as amateur as you can get, with a crude home-made unmitred frame. I would think that, even if the name and the other word can be reliably deciphered, it’s not going to be in any artist database but might be traceable via genealogy websites since it’s probably an uncommon name. Note also that immigrants to the US and Canada with unusual East European names frequently subsequently changed them to Anglicised versions that were easier to spell and more familiar to natives in their new homeland.
 
Upvote 0
I can’t help much, but my observations would be that the name seems to end with ‘ek’ and has an ‘o’ in the middle, possibly preceded by the letters ‘ip’. Both the ‘o’ and the ‘e’ have diacritical marks above. I read it as ‘Griporek’ but with a low degree of confidence.

It’s difficult to determine the intended slope of the diacritics, which would help determine the possible language/country but, in combination with the ‘ek’ suffix, it would most likely be Polish or Slavic.

If it reads ‘ Griporek’, as I suspect it might, then AI says that’s an uncommon surname of Slavic origin, with roots tracing primarily to Poland, and a regional variant of one of the many “son of Gregory” surnames from those regions. I don’t put a huge amount of confidence in that either, but it would at least be consistent with what I think I can see.

As for the painting itself, it looks about as amateur as you can get, with a crude home-made unmitred frame. I would think that, even if the name and the other word can be reliably deciphered, it’s not going to be in any artist database but might be traceable via genealogy websites since it’s probably an uncommon name. Note also that immigrants to the US and Canada with unusual East European names frequently subsequently changed them to Anglicised versions that were easier to spell and more familiar to natives in their new homeland.
Red-Coat, this painting is Folk Art and it is meant to be with a crude home made frame and amateur appearance. Folk Art was more popular in the 19th and early 20th century. As you pointed out about immigrants to Canada and the US I think you are on the right path as immigrants brought their own cultures and artistic styles.
Chances are very good that this artist will never be known.......... Thanks for your input as always & have a good one .........
 
Upvote 0
Ha-Ha. Yes, I know what folk art is, although it doesn’t have any universally agreed definition. But I think it’s kindness to put works like this into that category just because they have a rural scenic theme with naïve perspective, exhibiting neither any sign of formal training or talent… even though whoever produced it was presumably sufficiently proud of it to put it in a frame.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom